THE METROPOLITANS FEND OFF A LATE RALLY BY THE PESKY LIZZIES IN THE FINAL INNING TO HANG ON FOR THE VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a mix of sunny and cloudy skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3, the Mets edged the Lizzies 8-7 in 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division round robin tournament play.
Down 8-5, the pesky Lizzies gamely rallied for two runs in the top of the fourth to trim the deficit to one. However, with two outs and the potential tying run standing at third, the Mets were finally able to extinguish the Lizzies comeback attempt and hang on for the slender victory.
Here are the highlights:
- With one out, the Lizzies loaded the bases in the top of the first. However, the Mets extricated themselves out the mojo jojo jam as they retired the next two batters to keep the Lizzies off the scoresheet.
- The Mets jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Nigel (5) and Matthew (1) came home to roost.
- In the top of the second, the Lizzies stormed back to tie the proceedings when Taylor (3) and Luke (5) both came homeward bound.
- The Mets jumped back in front 5-2 in the bottom of the second when Rory (7), Niall (10) and Colby (6) scored.
- Once again, the Go Go Lizzies rallied for three runs in the top of the third to tie the game 5-5. Fatima (14), Curtis (12) and Leandro (10) scored.
- The Mets answered back with three runs in the bottom of the third to retake the lead 8-5 as Nigel, Matthew and Aaron (9) scored.
- The pesky Lizzies rallied for two in the top of the fourth as Jasper R (4) and Xavier (8) scored to make it a one run game. However, the Lizzies comeback fell short as the Mets hung on for the win.
The Mets (1-0) will play their next round robin playoff game on Thursday, September 5 against the Cardinals (1-0) at Christie Pits Diamond 3 at 5:45 p.m. The Lizzies (0-1) will host the Dodgers (1-0) in their next round robin game on Thursday, September 5 at Christie Pits Diamond 2 at 5:45 p.m.