MAKING THE MOST OF THE OPPORTUNITIES PRESENTED TO THEM, THE CUBBIES EARN A HONEY OF A VICTORY OVER THE MIGHTY GIANTS AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under sunny and cloudy skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3, the Cubs topped the Giants 7-4 in four entertaining innings of Mosquito Division round robin tournament action.
From first pitch to the final out, it was a well contested game between two talented teams. In the end, the Cubbies prevailed over the Mighty Giants because they were able to take advantage of the offensive opportunities that were presented to them.
Here are the highlights:
- The Cubs jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. With two outs and the bases loaded, Molly (5) drew a RBI walk to bring Adi (14) home with the first run of the game.
- Giants starter Alexander (13) allowed only one run in the top of the first while striking out three Cubs to extricate himself from a bases loaded mojo jojo jam.
- In the bottom of the first, Cubs starting pitcher Alden (9) struck out first three Giants that he faced in 1-2-3 fashion to keep them off the scoresheet.
- The Cubbies scored three in the top of the second to extend their lead to 4-0. Joseph (12), Michael (11) and Daniel (13) came home to score during the inning.
- The Giants scored a run in the bottom of the second to trim the deficit to three when Alexander came home to roost.
- In the bottom of the second, Cubs reliever Daniel (13) allowed only one run while striking out three Giants to leave the bases loaded.
- The Cubs added two runs in the top of the third to widen their lead to 6-1. With the bases juiced, Molly drew a RBI walk to bring home Adi. Leo (1) followed with a RBI walk to score Sam (8).
- Giants reliever Harris (15) allowed only two runs in the top of the third while mowing down three Cubs to escape a major mondo bases loaded jam.
- In the bottom of the third, the Mighty Giants exercised great discipline at the dish and exploded for three runs to trim the shortfall to two. With one out and the bases overflowing, Harris drew a RBI walk to bring home Mary. Alexander followed with a RBI walk to plate Nigel (10). With two outs, Lachlan (7) drew a bases loaded walk to allow Emma (4) to saunter home with another run.
- The Cubs answered back with an insurance run in the top of the fourth to widen their lead to 7-4 when Michael came around to score.
- Giants reliever Lachlan allowed one run in the top of the fourth while striking out two Cubbies.
- In 1-2-3 formation, Cubs pitcher Alden struck out three Giants in order to seal the deal on the Cubbies hard fought victory.
The Cubs (1-0) will host the Reds (1-0) at Christie Pits Diamond 3 in their next round robin tournament game on Friday, September 6 at 5:45 p.m. The Giants (0-1) will face the Pirates (0-1) at Christie Pits Diamond 2 on Friday, September 6 at 5:45 p.m.