IN AN WELL PLAYED AFFAIR, THE CUBBIES PREVAIL OVER THE BIG RED MACHINE TO WIN THEIR SECOND ROUND ROBIN GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT
Beneath sunny skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3, the Cubs topped the Reds 8-6 the in an entertaining 3 ½ inning Mosquito Division round robin tournament game.
It was a tight and well played and contest between two talented and well coached teams. In the end, the Cubbies (2-0) prevailed over the Big Red Machine (1-0) because they were able to capitalize on more of the offensive opportunities that were presented to them during the game to earn their second round robin victory of the tourney.
Here are the highlights:
- Cubs starter Alden (9) pitched himself out of bases loaded mojo jojo jam in the top of the first by striking out two to keep the Reds off the scoreboard.
- The Cubbies took an early 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. With the bases loaded, Alden delivered a RBI single to bring home Adi (14). Daniel (13) followed with a two RBI single to allow Sam (8) and Flynn (4) to come homeward bound.
In the top of the second, the Big Red Machine scored a pair to cut the deficit to one. With two outs and a pair of Reds on base, Dylan (15) stroked a clutch two RBI single to bring home William (5) and Ben (4).
- Taking advantage of six walks issued by the Reds, the Cubs scored three in the bottom of the second to extend their lead to 6-2. With one out and the bases loaded, Michael (11) drew a RBI walk to bring home Leo (1). Molly (5) followed with a RBI walk to plate Catalina (2). Joseph (12) blazed home from third on a Reds error to score the final run of the inning.
- Reds reliever Dylan (15) picked off a wayfaring Cubs base runner at third base during the second inning. Dylan made a laser throw to third baseman Henry (10)
- The Reds rallied for three in the top of the third to make it a one run game by taking advantage of six walks issued by the Cubbies. Tillie (13) and Henry walked to lead off the inning and both respectively stole home the to score the first two runs for the Reds. With one out and the bases juiced, Nicholas (3) drew a RBI walk to bring home Ben (6).
- In the bottom of the third, the Cubs took advantage of five walks and added two runs to extend their lead to 8-5. With one out and the bases loaded, Elise (6) blazed home safely from third to score on a Reds error. (Elise’s run would subsequently turn out to be the Cubs winning run.) Later, Daniel would draw a bases loaded RBI walk to bring home Adi with an insurance run.
- Trailing 8-5, the Reds loaded the bases and scored one in the top of the fourth to trim the deficit to two. Henry drew a bases juiced RBI walk to bring in Ben (4).
- Shaken, but not stirred, Cubs closer Alden pitched himself out of a bases loaded jam by mowing down three Reds to seal the deal on the Cubbies hard fought victory.