IN A NITTY GRITTY SEMI-FINAL AFFAIR, THE SUAVE METROPOLITANS TOP THE PESKY CARDS TO ADVANCE TO A MOSQUITO DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP GAME SOIREE AGAINST THE DODGERS
Beneath overcast skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Mets defeated the Cardinals 7-5 in 5 innings of Mosquito Division Semi-Final tournament action.
With the victory, the Mets advance to a Mosquito Division Championship skirmish against the Dodgers at Christie Pits Diamond 2 on Thursday, September 12 at 5:45 p.m.
It was a taut and closely contested contest between two talented and well coached teams. Ultimately, the Metropolitans prevailed over the Cards because they were able capitalize on more of the offensive opportunities that arose during the game.
Here are the highlights:
- The Mets made hay of six walks and jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first. Respective bases loaded RBI walks by Colby (6), Avi (14), Teddy (11) and Nigel (5) allowed Matthew (1), Xin (4), Simon (8) and Colby to come home to roost.
- In the bottom of the first, the Cardinals took advantage of six walks and answered back with four to tie the proceedings. With the bases juiced to overflowing, Griff (3) delivered a clutch two out RBI single to score Alex (6) from third. A Mets error would allow Solomon (11) to come home. After Thomas (14) was hit by a pitch to load the bases, Jonathan (4) and Zenon (10) garnered respective RBI walks to bring home Charles (8) and Griff.
- Mets catcher Rory (7) gunned down a Lizzies base runner attempting to steal third in the first. Rory rifled a laser throw to third baseman Niall (10), who deftly applied the tag to complete the 2-5 putout.
- Cardinals reliever Jonathan (4) struck out three in the top of the second to keep the Metropolitans off the scoresheet.
- Mets reliever Aaron (9) mowed down three Cardinals in 1-2-3 fashion in the top of the second to keep them off the scoreboard.
- In the top of the third, the Mets scored a pair to take a 6-4 lead. With one out and a Met on base, Jonah (2) stroked a RBI single to bring home Matthew. Later, Jonah would motor home on a Cardinals error.
- Cardinals reliever Zenon (10) struck out a pair in the third to subdue the Mets insurrection at the martini bar.
- The Cards would answer with a run in the bottom of the third to trim the deficit to one. With one out and a Cardinal on base, Alex delivered a RBI single to score Jake (2).
- Mets reliever Nigel (5) pitched a workmanlike third to quell the Cardinals upsrising.
- The Mets would respond with a run in the top of the to stretch their lead to 7-5. After Nigel led off the inning with a walk, Aaron (9) delivered a RBI single to bring him home.
- With a little defensive help from his friends, Zenon doused the Mets offensive rebellion in the fourth.
- With no outs and two Cards on base in the bottom of the fourth, Mets reliever Aaron mowed down the next three Cardinals in 1-2-3 fashion to keep them off the scoring ledger and extricate himself from a major mondo pickle of a situation.
- Cardinals reliever Jonathan pitched a solid top of the fifth to keep the Mets off the board.
- In the bottom of the fifth, Mets closer Nigel struck out two Cardinals to seal the deal on a hard fought victory.