THE GO GO LIZZIES RALLY IN DRAMATIC FASHION IN THE FINAL INNING TO USURP THE BLUE BIRDS TO WIN A THRILLER AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of warm skies, the Lizzies edged the Jays 10-9 in a three inning Peewee Division thriller this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here are the respective game summaries of the proceedings from the Lizzies and Jays:
Lizzies Game Log by Ryan Balot
- The first inning was a tight defensive struggle, as Lizzies pitcher Julia (11) took over mid-inning to hold the Jays to one run, leaving three runners on base.
- The Lizzies were held scoreless in the bottom of the first, owing to the Jays superb pitching and fielding.
- Throughout the contest, the home plate umpire kept steadfastly to a rigorous strike zone, which led to a mercy-rule shutdown of both half-innings in the second. After two innings the score was a nail-biting 5-4.
- In the top of the third, Kyle (5) hit a bases-loaded triple to advance the Jays to a 9-4 lead.
- Then, in the bottom of the third, the Jays infield produced an outstanding double-play at second.
- Ominously for the Lizzies, the umpires now warned that the third would be the final inning. The Lizzies didn’t lose heart, however, and made an exciting comeback fuelled by a key hit by Evan.
- Finally, showing patience at the plate, Ryan (15) drew a RBI bases loaded walk to bring in Stefano with the game-winning run. The Lizzies won 10-9 in what many viewed as a “barn-burner.”
Jays Game Log by Bob Garden
- The Jays had a great start in the first inning with an early 1-0 lead behind some great defense and a pitching by Dylan (15).
- Both teams scored four runs in the second. The Jays had some well timed walks and RBI singles by Iliana (9) and Connor (1).
- Adam (8) pitched for the Jays in the 2nd.
- The Jays scored four in the third behind a base clearing three RBI triple by Kyle (5). Kyle also stole home to give the Jays their fourth run of the inning and a 9-4 advantage.
- At first, victory seemed certain after a great double play by Ben (11) on second base who caught a pop fly and then tagged out the eager Lizzies runner who didn’t tag up.
- So, no runners on base and two outs, things were looking good and Jays reliever Christian (10) was confident on the mound.
- But the Lizzies don’t quit and some great hitting brought them back into the game and they were able to bring it to within two when the Jays made a pitching change and brought in closer Kyle (5) to the mound.
- Patience at the plate paid off for the Lizzies and they were able to walk in the winning runs to win a very exciting close match.
- Fun game!