FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, THE MAJESTIC ROYALS PREVAIL OVER THE GO GO LIZZIES FOR THE SWEET VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a layer of serene summer skies, the Lizzies defeated the Royals 9-5 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Royals Game Post composed by Gordon Belray.
A perfect night for the final Peewee Division regular season game as the Lizzies hosted the Royals.
The Royals jumped out to an early four run lead in the first, taking advantage of three consecutive walks and testing the metal of the Lizzies’ defense with aggressive base running and RBI single by John Lee (14).
The Royals countered with their lefty ace Jian (15) who allowed one unearned run with two strikeouts and nice 1-3 putout.
The Royals battled hard against hard throwing Lizzies reliever Jacob (2) who racked up two strikeouts but gave up two runs in the top of the second with the twins Rory (6) – solid single and Niall (9) – walk, both scoring on base stealing mayhem.
Royals reliever Julian (10) continues to find his way on the mound, giving up four runs in the bottom of the second, as the Lizzies closed the lead to 6-5 touched off by a solid 2 RBI home run by Jacob that found the gap between centre and left.
The Royals were held scoreless in the third after a lead walk was erased on nice double play ball lined up the middle by Simon (1) where Lizzies second baseman Haydn (6) was positioned perfectly and threatened again with a single by Jian and Maxwell’s (13) second walk of the game and double steal but Cormac’s (8) was swing and a miss ended the inning.
Royals reliever Cormac (8) continued his great control pitching by striking out two and getting some help in the infield from second baseman Maxwell’s block and calm throw to first.
The Royals padded their lead by three in the fourth with an RBI single by Molly (4), single by John Lee and walks to the twins who took advantage of steals and attempted run down of Julian who’s appetite for second after a walk was bigger than his legs. He was judiciously thrown out later in the inning attempting to steal second.
Royals closer Maxwell (13) picked up the save by giving up one run and looking impressive with pin point strikeouts and nice 6-4 putout from Jian (15) to Niall (9).
Lizzies Game Post composed with file from Jenny Foster.
Here are the Lizzies highlights:
- In the bottom of the first inning, Haydn (6) of the Lizzies singled and then stole all the way to home.
- Lizzies reliever Jacob (2) struck out two Royals in the top of the second.
- After Leo (15) of the Lizzies singled in the bottom of the second, Jacob (2) followed with a 2 RBI home run.
- Lizzies second baseman Haydn turned a stellar double play in the third when he vacuumed up a hard grounder in Super Kirby fashion, stepped on second base and made the laser throw to first to complete the two out 4-3 putout. YAY!!!
- In the fourth, Jays pitcher Jacob mowed down a pair of Royals to seal the deal on the win.