UTILIZING SOLID PITCHING AND A STINGY DEFENSE, THE BLUE BIRDS STYMIE THE GO GO LIZZIES AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under the lights on a late summer’s night, the Jays defeated the Lizzies 9-4 in five innings of Peewee Division Round Robin action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Taking flight in their opening playoff tournament game, the Jays would use a formula of stellar pitching, solid defense and an opportunistic offense to prevail fir the win over their historic divisional rivals.
Here are the highlights:
- The Jays scored a pair in the top of the first to take an early 2-0 lead. With one out and a runner on second, Elena (3) powered a RBI double to plate Christian (10) at the dinner table at Fran’s. After a steal of third, Elena would motor home on a Lizzies error.
- Lizzies starter Daniel (9) would fan one in the first to snuff out the Jays attack.
- Kudos to Lizzies first baseman Seb (4) for making a ballerina catch to record the second out in the top of the first. The TP judges in attendance along the first baseline awarded Ben a technical score of ten out of ten for his impressive aerobatic split to make the solo putout.
- Jays starter Ben (11) would strikeout three in the bottom of the fourth to keep the Lizzies off the scoreboard.
- In the top of the second, the Jays made hay of five walks to score another two and stretch their lead to 4-0. Respective bases loaded RBI walks from Ben and Christian would bring Connor (1) and Jaleelah (6) home to roost.
- Lizzies reliever Jacob (2) would strikeout one to subdue the Jays uprsing in the second.
- Jays starter Ben mows down a pair in the bottom of the second to keep the Lizzies off the scoring ledger.
- With authority, Lizzies reliever Jacob mows down three Jays with a John Deere in the top of the third to keep the Jays off the scoresheet.
- The Lizzies offense surges to life in the bottom of the third as they score one to trim the deficit to three. With one out and the bases loaded, Jacob strokes a RBI single to bring Leo (15) home with the Lizzies first run of the game.
- Jays reliever Adam (8) pitches himself out of a mojo jojo bases loaded jam in the third by striking out three to extinguish the Lizzies insurgency.
- Going for the jugular, the Jays offense explodes for four in the top of the fourth to widen their advantage to 8-1. After a leadoff walk and a pair of Lizzies miscues, Connor would come home with the Jays fifth score of the game. With one out and the bases loaded, Elena and Harrison (13) would garner back to back RBI walks to bring Jaleelah and Ben home. Curtis (4) would follow with a RBI single to plate Christian.
- In the bottom of the fourth, the Lizzies replied with a run to trim the gap to six. With the bases juiced, Stefano (1) delivered a RBI sacrifice hit to bring Julia (11) home.
- The Jays defense turned in nice 9-3 play to record the third out in the bottom of the fourth. On a laser shot to right, Jays right fielder Connor retrieved the ball and made a solid throw to first baseman Jackson (14) for the off the wall putout and retire the Lizzies batter at first.
- The Jays would tack on another insurance run in the top of the fifth to increase their lead to 9-2. After Iliana (9) reached base on a dropped third strike, she used her guile and speed to reach third. Iliana would subsequently blaze home on a Lizzies error.
- Lizzies pitcher Daniel would mow down three Jays in the fifth frame.
- Refusing to accept their fate, the Lizzies gamely rallied for a pair in the bottom of the fifth to trail 9-4. Seb delivered a clutch two out two RBI single to bring Connor and Jaleelah homeward.
- Jays closer Iliana (9) picks off a napping Lizzies base runner at third to bring the proceedings to a close.
- And a special kudos to Oliver (12) of the Jays for his entertaining air guitar performance in left field during the first inning. You rock, Oliver! We salute you!