IN A WELL CONTESTED AND ENTERTAINING ROUND ROBIN AFFAIR, THE ARTFUL DODGERS SNAP A 5-5 DEADLOCK IN THE FINAL INNING TO PREVAIL OVER THE CUBBIES AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of pristine summer skies, the Dodgers defeated the Cubs 7-5 in four innings of Mosquito Division Round Robin Tournament play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Tied 5-5, the Dodgers scored a pair in the top of the fourth to pull ahead 7-5. After a pair of leadoff walks by Taras (15) and Mary (14) put two runners on base, Avi (8) delivered a grace under pressure two out two RBI double to allow Taras and Mary to come homeward with the go ahead runs.
Shaken, but not stirred, Cubs reliever Michael (13) struck out three in the fourth to quell the Dodgers insurgency.
Dodgers closer Lachlan (9) mowed down a pair of Cubs in the bottom of the fourth to seal the deal on a hard fought victory.
Here are some additional game highlights:
- The Dodgers jump out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. After a leadoff walk by Charlie (5), Harris (12) stroked a one out RBI single to bring Charlie home with the game’s first run. After swiping two bases to reach third, Harris would blaze home on a Cubs error.
- Cubs starter Ben (11) would strike out three in the first to douse the Dodger uprising and leave the bases loaded.
- In the bottom of the first, the Cubs answered back with three to take a 3-2 lead. After Javert (6) singled and Elliot walked to lead off the frame, the Cubs executed a double steal attempt. With the Dodgers catcher’s throw sailing high and down the third baseline, Javert motored home from third with the Cubs first run. Alexander (2) would follow with a RBI sacrifice hit to plate Elliot. With two outs and Cubs at third and second, Ben delivered a RBI single to bring Shamus (9) home with the go ahead run.
- The Dodgers would even the proceedings 3-3 in the top of the second when Mary (14) drew a bases loaded RBI walk to plate Devin (6).
- Cubs reliever Elliot (1) would fan two in the second to snuff out the Artful Dodgers rebellion and leave the bases loaded.
- Dodgers reliever Charlie (5) would mow down three Cubs in 1-2-3 fashion in the bottom of the second to keep them off them off the scoreboard.
- In the top of the third, the Dodgers scored two to take a 5-3 lead. After a pair of leadoff walks by Avi and Harris put two runners on base, the Dodgers called for a double steal. With the throw from the Cubs catcher sailing down the third baseline, Avi sped home with the go ahead score. With two outs and the bases juiced, Matteo (10) drew a RBI walk to plate Harris at the five star restaurant dinner table.
- Cubs first baseman Nick (14) made a Gold Glove defensive play in the third when he snared a SMOKING HOT TAMALE line drive off the bat of Lachlan of the Dodgers to record the first out of the inning.
- The Cubs replied with two in the bottom of the third to tie the game 5-5. With one out and a pair of Cubbies on base, Elliot delivered a RBI double to score Sasha (15). Alexander would follow with a RBI single to bring Javert home.
- With gritty determination in the third, Dodgers reliever Charlie struck out one to extinguish the Cubs attack and leave the bases loaded.
- Dodgers catcher Lachlan gunned down a wayfaring Cubs base runner for the first out in the bottom half of the third. With cannon precision, Lachlan made a laser throw to shortstop Harris, who adroitly applied the tag on the D.O.A. Cub to complete the 2-6 putout. Proud mom and player agent Reagan Maude was feverishly updating Lachlan’s lengthy and distinguished Player Resume after the Gold Glove defensive gem for any potential scouts at the game.