THE GO GO LIZZIES PREVAIL FOR A RAZOR’S EDGE VICTORY OVER THE CUBBIES AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a ceiling of warm and hazy skies, the Lizzies edged the Cubs 4-3 in four innings of Mosquito Division Round Robin Tournament play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The game was a low scoring affair where solid pitching from both teams dominated the proceeding and runs came at a high premium. Seven pitchers from the Cubs and Lizzies combined for sixteen strikeouts over the course of four frames.
Here are the highlights:
- The Lizzies jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. With the bases loaded, Jude (5) blazed home on a wild pitch to score the first run of the game.
- With one out and Lizzies runners at third and second, the Cubs made a nice 1-2 defensive play in the top of the first. Cubs pitcher Javert (6) fielded a chopper off the bat of Sam (8) and threw home to catcher Cameron (7), who applied the tag on a sliding Lewis (10) for the second out of the frame.
- Cubs starter Javert allowed only one run while striking out one in the top of the first.
- In the bottom of the first, the Cubs answered with a run to even the proceedings 1-1. With two Cubbies on base, Ben (11) delivered a RBI single to plate Javert.
- The Cubs were robbed of two sure runs in the first when a pair of Cubbies base runners committed the faux pas of not sliding at home.
- Lizzies starter Sam (8) allowed one run while fanning one Cub in the bottom of the first.
- The Lizzies offense would explode for three runs in the top of the second to take a 4-1 lead. After leading off the inning with a single, Manny (6) would subsequently come home to roost after a series of Cubs errors. With one out and the bases loaded, Sebastian N. (12) would draw a RBI walk to bring home Jackson (7). Later, Jude would earn a bases loaded two out RBI walk to score Riley (11).
- The Cubs would reply with a run in the bottom of the first to trim the deficit to two. With the bases loaded, Han (12) drew a two out RBI walk to bring Shamus (9) home.
- Lizzies southpaw reliever Lewis (10) pitched himself out of a mojo jojo bases loaded jam in the second by mowing down three Cubs batters.
- After loading the bases on three walks, Cubs reliever Nick (14) fanned a pair of Lizzies in the top of the third to keep them off the scoreboard.
- In the bottom of the third, the Cubs scored a run to trail 4-3. With two runners on base, Alexander (2) delivered a one out RBI sacrifice hit to bring home Javert.
- Lizzies reliever Quinn (14) struck out two in the third to quell the Cubbies uprising.
- Cubs reliever Ben (11) fans two in the top of the fourth to keep the Lizzies off the scoring ledger.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, Lizzies pitcher Sam mows down three Cubs with a John Deere 25-HP V-Twin Hydrostatic Lawn Tractor in the bottom of the fourth to seal the deal on a hard fought razor thin victory.