TAKING NO PRISONERS, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS DEFUSES THE BOMBERS TO WIN THEIR EBA SELECT LOOP SEASON OPENER AT MILLWOOD PARK
Game Post composed with file from Bill Evans.
Under a canopy of cool and serene skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Peewee Selects defeated the Bloordale Bombers 12-2 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select Loop action this evening at Millwood Park.
Firing on all cylinders from the get go, the TP Peewee Selects mollified the Bombers in convincing fashion to win their regular season opener on the road.
Here are the game highlights:
- In a stellar All Star effort, Alden (7) led his team on the pitching mound, in the batter’s box and in the field.
- TP started the first two innings going three up and three down.
- TP starting pitcher Aaron (54) kept the game close by recording three strikeouts.
- Second baseman Harris (12) recorded two putouts with a pair of solid throws to first baseman Nigel (20).
- In the bottom of the second frame, a Bloordale baserunner attempted to turn an overthrow at first base into a double. However, Alden fired a rocket to teammate Louis (16) at second base, who tagged out the bewildered Bomber.
- The TP batting lineup showed patience at the dish in the third inning as seven batters reached base on walks.
- Piper (9) delivered the first hit of the TP Peewee Selects regular season to record 2 RBIs.
- With the TP leading 7-2 in the bottom half of the third, TP reliever Alden led his team on the mound by striking out four Bombers.
- Alden led off the top of the fourth with a double and came around to score.
- TP reliever Alden continued his mastery over the Bloordale batting order as he struck out the side in the fourth and fifth innings.
- Alden scored three of Toronto Playgrounds twelve runs.
- Alex (22) came home to roost twice.
- In total, nine of eleven TP players made the trip home.
- Also contributing key hits – Piper went 2 for 3 at the plate with two timely singles; Alex was 1 for 2 with a walk; and Ethan was on base three times. With his last trip to the dish, Ethan utilized his speed to earn an infield single by beating the throw to first.
- TP catchers Alex and Piper were tremendous behind the plate
- The boys were thrilled with their first win of the season and looked snazzy in their new button down uniforms and warm-up jackets, courtesy of our supportive TP Peewee Select parents.
- A fun time was had by players, parents and coaches!
The TP Peewee Selects (1-0) return home for their next EBA Select Loop game when they play host to the Etobicoke Rangers at Christie Pits Diamond 2 on Wednesday, May 20 at 7:00 p.m.