THE BLUE BIRDS TAKE FLIGHT ON THE BASEPATHS TO TOP THE ATHLETICS IN THEIR MOSQUITO DIVISION SEASON OPENER AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with file from Jeff Kolyn.
Beneath a layer of sunny and cloudy skies, the Jays defeated the A’s 10-5 in four innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here are the highlights:
- Batting in the top of the first, the Jays went down quietly with three K’s, but all of them swinging. Leadoff hitter Vincent (7) got things going with a walk and stole himself around to third base.
- In the bottom of the first, Jays starter Ernesto (15), pitching for the very first time, gave up only two runs while striking out two batters. Ernesto was also aided by a great play at second base by Luz (5) who ranged behind the bag, and outraced the runner for the force at second base.
- The Jays got their walking shoes going in the top of the second when they patiently garnered five walks [Ibrahim (8), Andre (6), Theo (2), Genevieve (10), Joshua (3))]. Genevieve earned the Jays first RBI of the season, and Joshua brought in the final run of the frame.
- In the bottom of the second, Jays reliever Theo came in and held the A’s again to just two runs, while striking out the side. Jays catcher Andre caught his first inning of the season and really kept the strike zone tight.
- The Jays bats came to life in the top of the third. Vincent once again lead off the inning with a walk and swiped two bags; Matthew (11) [two stolen bases] then came through with a solid RBI single. Luz (stolen base), Ibrahim, James (13), Andre, and Theo each walked with James, Andre and Theo each picking up an RBI.
- In the bottom of the third, Jays reliever Joshua came in to pitch the first scoreless inning of the season for the Blue Birds with three more K’s. Catcher James did a great job framing the pitches, a formidable battery if there ever was one.
- The Jays exploded again in the top of the fourth for another four runs, highlighted by six more stolen bases [Vincent, Ernesto (2), Camille, Lucas, Joshua (grand theft of home)]. Camille led off the inning with smash hit to third base. Joshua followed up with the always entertaining bunt triple. After Lucas walked, Vincent walked yet again. Ernesto stepped up and smacked a double. With Matthew at the plate, Ernesto swiped third and then home to finish the inning for the Jays.
- In the bottom of fourth, Jays reliever Vince came in for his first ever pitching appearance. After a tough start, Vince settled in and found the strike zone. First baseman Josh made a diving catch on a screaming liner for the first out, and made a heads up play never giving up on a ball that stayed fair down the line to scoop it behind the bag for the second out. With one run in, Vince bared down and strucke out the final A’s batter to close out the game.