TIED 6-6, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS SCORES FIVE IN THE FINAL INNING TO PREVAIL OVER THE A’s AT RAVINA GARDENS AND WIN ITS FOURTH EBA SELECT LOOP GAME OF THE SEASON
Game Post composed with file from Marco Bianchi.
Under a canopy of fluctuating sunny and cloudy skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Mosquito Selects defeated the Annette A’s 11-6 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) play this afternoon at Ravina Gardens.
Here are the highlights:
- Sunny skies and warm at game time, cloudy and cold at the finish, TP was able to grind out a win on a day where team execution was not at its sharpest.
- In a seesaw battle, Toronto Playgrounds and Annette exchanged leads throughout the game until the top of the sixth when TP tacked together five runs to pull away from the A’s.
- Trailing 2-0, the TP bats were quiet until the third inning when the offense exploded for four runs to take a 4-2 lead. This inning was capped by back-to-back 2 RBI doubles by Charlie (19) and Jamie (52).
- TP starter Lucas (1) was stretched to his pitch count limit and made it through 2.2 innings while only giving up four runs and striking out six A’s. In the bottom of the second, he mowed down Annette with 3 Ks by using only thirteen pitches. Lucas left with a 4-3 lead and the bases full.
- TP reliever Theo (17) came into the fray and got out of the bases loaded jam by inducing an unconventional 4-6-2 double play to end the Annette threat.
- Down 6-5 and with two out in the top of the fifth, TP call-up Javert (5) knocked a clutch RBI single through the right side of the infield to tie the game at six.
- TP relievers Theo and Charlie (19) combined to allow only two more runs over the next two innings [fourth & fifth] and keeping TP and Annette tied going into the 6th.
- The TP bats came to life again in the top of the sixth as the Mosquito Selects posted their second inning with four or more runs on the day. Up 7-6, Lucas broke the game open with a clutch two out 2 RBI double to put TP up by three.
- In the bottom of the sixth, TP reliever James (6) came from the bullpen to shut down the A’s by throwing a scoreless inning where he utilized only fourteen pitches.
- Lucas would fill the box score in this one by going 1 for 3 at the plate with two runs scored and 2 RBI’s.
- Charlie also enjoyed a big day at the dish by going 2 for 2 with two runs scored and 2 RBI’s.