TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS, THE GO GO LIZZIES SINK THE BUCCANEERS TO ADVANCE TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL
Under a canopy of serene nighttime skies, the Lizzies defeated the Pirates 10-4 in 5 ½ innings of Peewee Division semi-final action tonight at Christie Pits Diamond 2 to advance to the Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Championship Game.
The Lizzies (1) await the winner of the semi-final game between the Expos (2) and Mets (4), which will be played tomorrow (Wednesday, September 16) evening. The Peewee Division championship game is scheduled for the evening of Thursday, September 17.
The semi-final proceeding was an entertaining and well played affair between two gifted and well schooled squads. In the end, the Lizzies were firing on all cylinders both offensively and defensively. With their pitching staff notching twelve strikeouts to stymie the Bucs attack, the Lizzies put the pedal to the metal to build a commanding lead and never really had to look back in the rear view mirror.
Here are the highlights:
- Lizzies starter Ben (5) strikes out two in the top of the first to keep the Pirates off the scoresheet and in the brig.
- The top seeded Lizzies jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. After drawing a lead off walk, Michael (7) would eventually steal his way around the bases to chalk up the first run of the game.
- Pirates starter Aaron (6) would strike out one in the first to extinguish the Lizzies attack. Aaron also initiated a nice 1-3 double play in the inning when he caught a scorching line drive off the bat of Ben for the first out and made a throw to first to force out a wayfaring Lizzies baserunner to notch the second out.
- With a little help from his friends, Lizzies reliever Jonathan (13) would retire the Pirates in 1-2-3 fashion in the top of the second with one strikeout to keep the Buccaneers in the Captain’s Mess.
- In the bottom of the second, the Lizzies offense exploded for four to widen their lead to 5-0. After leading off the inning with a single, the speedy Catalina (3) would swipe two bases to settle in at third. On her theft of third, Catalina would come home on a Pirates error.
With one out and two ducks on the pond, Roland (9) would deliver a RBI double to bring home Molly (6). Alex (14) followed with a RBI single to plate Jonathan. On a dropped third strike to Jaleelah (11), Roland would blaze home from third with another run.
- Pirates reliever Zenon (8) would strike out a pair of Lizzies in the second.
- The Bucs would answer with two in the top of the third to slice the deficit to three. With two aboard, Willem (5) stroked a RBI single to bring Myles (7) home with the Pirates first run. After Aaron walked and Ethan (3) was hit by pitch to load the bases, Liam (10) drew a RBI walk to plate Willem.
- With the bases loaded, Lizzies reliever Ethan (2) would strike out two in the third to quell the Pirates insurrection.
- The Lizzies would reply with two in the bottom of the third to stake themselves to a 7-2 lead. With two Lizzies on the basespaths, Julian (15) delivered a 2 RBI single that allowed Leo (10) and Ben to come homeward bound.
- Pirates reliever Daniel (13) would strike out two in the third to subdue the Lizzies rebellion.
- In the top of the fourth, Lizzies reliever Michael (7) would strike out two to keep the Pirates off the scoring abacus.
- Michael was assisted on a super 9-6 putout by his defense in the fourth. After singling to right centre, Daniel made a bid to stretch hit into a double. However, right fielder Leo retrieved the ball and made a rocket throw to shortstop Jian (8), who applied the tag on a sliding Daniel to record the third out of the inning.
Daniel would strike out a pair in the bottom of the fourth to keep the Lizzies off the scoreboard.
- The Pirates would plate a pair in the top of the fifth to trim the margin to 7-4. With runners at third and first, the Bucs would pull off a double steal with Nick (4) moving to second and Alex (2) motoring home. With two outs, Myles stroked a RBI single to plate Nick.
- Lizzies southpaw reliever Jian (8) would strike out three in the fifth to douse the Pirates rally.
- Going for the jugular, the Lizzies would score three insurance runs in the bottom of the fifth to increase their advantage to 10-4. With two aboard, Leo stroked a clutch two out RBI single to plate Jaleelah. A Bucs faux pas would allow Jian to blaze home from third with another run. Ben followed with a RBI single to bring Leo home.
- With one out and Lizzies at third and second, the Pirates would turn an interesting 1-2-3 putout in the fifth. In order to prevent a run from scoring, Bucs pitcher threw home to catcher Francis (11) after snaring the ball off the bat of Michael. Then Francis threw to first baseman Zenon to chalk up the second out of the inning.
- Jian would strike out two in the top of the sixth to seal the deal on the Lizzies semi-final win.