THE MAJESTIC ROYALS PREVAIL OVER THE DEVILISH RAYS IN A NAIL BITING QUARTER-FINAL ELIMINATION GAME TO ADVANCE TO THE SEMI-FINAL ROUND
Beneath a blanket of pristine warm and sunny skies, the Royals edged the Rays 4-3 in five riveting innings of Mosquito Division Quarter-final elimination game action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2 to advance the semi-final round of the ‘September Madness’ tournament.
With the score tied 3-3, Kaenoa (3) led off the bottom of the fifth with a single and stole a pair of bases to advance to third base. After recording a strikeout, Rays pitcher Ethan (15) uncorked a wild pitch which bounced up the first baseline. Seizing the moment, Kaenoa made a dash to come home.
After retrieving the ball, Ethan made a laser throw to catcher Evan (9) at the plate. However, in a chitty chitty bang bang play, Kaenoa just slid home safely to beat the tag of Evan and score the Royals winning run.
The proceeding was a tight, entertaining and well played affair contested between two gifted and well coached teams. With the bullpens of the Rays and Royals combining for a total of twenty-one strikeouts over the course of five innings, strong pitching and solid defense dominated the proceedings, resulting in any runs scored coming at a huge premium.
Despite the final result, there were no losers in this exciting quarter-final elimination game as the players on both squads gave it their all and left everything on the field of play.
Here are additional highlights:
- The Rays jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. After walking to lead off the inning, Devin (6) stole a two bases to reach third. With one out, Nicolas (5) delivered a RBI single to plate Devin.
- Royals starter James (6) would strike out three in the first to quell the Rays insurgency.
- In the bottom of the first, Rays starter Ethan struck out two to keep the Royals off the scoring ledger and in the castle.
- The Rays would score a run in the top of the second to increase their lead to 2-0. With two runners on base, Lucky (10) delivered a RBI single that allowed Kismet (12) to come home to roost.
- Royals reliever Jashan (9) would strike out three in the second to subdue the Rays rebellion.
- The Royals would rally with three in the bottom of the second to take a 3-2 lead. After reaching base on a series of walks, Kaenoa would steal home for the Royals first run and Jashan and Rory (2) would come homeward bound on a pair of wild pitches by the Rays.
- In the top of the third, the Rays answered back with a run to tie the game 3-3. After singling, Devin would motor to third on a Royals error. PJ (2) followed with a RBI single to bring Devin home.
- With two Rays on the basepaths, Royals reliever Jashan would strike out three in the third to extinguish the Rays insurrection.
- Rays reliever Devin (6) would strike out two in the bottom of the third to keep the Royals off the scoresheet and in the throne room.
- The Rays defense shone in the third on a nice 6-3 putout when shortstop Nicolas vacuumed up a hard hit ball and made a rocket throw across the diamond to first baseman Lucky to chalk up the first out of the inning.
- The Rays threatened by putting two on the pond in the top of the fourth. However, Royals reliever Kaenoa (3) struck out three to keep the Rays off the scoreboard and in the aquarium.
- After walking two, Rays southpaw reliever Nicolas (5) would strike out two in the bottom of the fourth to keep the Royals off the scoring abacus.
- The Rays defense turned a nifty 2-5 putout in the fourth when catcher Evan and third baseman PJ ran down a Royals baserunner to record the first out of the frame.
- Royals pitcher James would strike out two in the top of the fifth to keep the Rays off the scoresheet and in the tropical ocean,