THE BIG RED MACHINE PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY D-BACKS AT DOMINICO FIELD
Tournament Game Summary edited with file from Sam Perri
Under the din of the incandescent lights on a warm summer night, the Reds defeated the Diamondbacks 11-7 in five innings of Bantam Division round robin tournament action this evening at Dominico Field at Christie Pits.
Here is a Reds account of the proceedings:
- In the top of the first, the Reds scored four runs, with Iliana (13) getting a key hit, to take a 4-0 lead.
- Reds starter Eric (15) pitched a three up and three down bottom of the first to shut out the Diamondbacks.
- With two outs in the top of the second, the Reds added to their lead when Eric hit a single and then scored on a stolen base and two throwing errors by the D-Backs.
- In the bottom of the second, the Diamondbacks score three runs on two hits to trail 5-3.
- Diamondbacks reliever Jordan (2) blanked the Reds in the top of the third.
- The D-Backs scored another run in the bottom of the third run to trim the deficit to one.
- However, the Reds answered with two in the top of the fourth, with key hits by Iliana and Solomon (6), to increase their advantage to 7-4.
- With Reds reliever Solomon (6) on the mound in the bottom of the fourth, the D-Backs scored a run on a hit batsman, 2 stolen bases and a wild pitch to slice the margin to 7-5.
- In the top of the fifth, the Reds scored four insurance runs on four walks to stretch their lead to 11-5.
- Solid pitching from Reds reliever Solomon held the D-Backs to two runs in the bottom of the fifth. Solomon would strike out three to close the deal.