THE REDBIRDS SNAP A 2-2 TIE WITH A FOUR RUN SURGE IN THE THIRD INNING TO PREVAIL OVER THE ARTFUL DODGERS AT CHRISTIE PITSTournament Game Summary edited with file from Paul Bagnell
Beneath a serene setting of warm summer skies, the Cardinals defeated the Dodgers 6-3 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division round robin tournament action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Cardinals account of the proceedings:
- With the game deadlocked 2-2 after 2 ½ innings of play, the Cardinals scored four in the bottom of the third to take a 6-2 lead.
- After Rory (12) reached base on an error to lead off the frame, Jordan (14) stroked a RBI triple to bring Rory home with the go ahead run.
- With one out, Alex (9) delivered a RBI double to bring Jordan home.
- After Mark (7) and Diogo (4) drew back to back walks to load the bases, Alex stole home. Subsequently, Spencer (10) would reach base on an error that allowed Mark to come home to roost.
- The Dodgers gamely rallied back with a run in the top of the fourth to trim the deficit to three. However, Redbirds closer Jordan (14) would bring the curtain down upon the game by striking out two and inducing a pop up that was caught at first base by Alex.
- The Cardinals defence notched two three-up, three-down innings (the first, when Louis (1) pitched; and the third, when Jordan pitched.)
- The Dodgers first inning at bat ended on a neat 3-1 put-out at first. Rory to Louis.
- Cardinals starter Louis threw four strikeouts over two innings.
- Cards reliever Jordan threw four strikeouts over two innings.
- Paul (15) made a great inning-ending catch of a towering fly to shallow right field to end the Dodgers’ third inning at bat. That play came after two consecutive strikeouts by Jordan.In the Dodgers’ fourth inning at bat, a batter who crushed a ball to deep centre field was held to a double, after Louis fetched the ball at the fence and fired to an alert Cardinals cut-off player.