THE TWINKIES PREVAIL OVER THE O’s AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under a canopy of warm summer skies, the Twins defeated the Orioles 5-2 in 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division round robin tournament play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Here are some highlights:
- Runs came at a premium as both teams displayed strong pitching during the proceeding. The Twins pitching staff combined to strike out ten Orioles over the course of four innings. Meanwhile, the O’s bullpen combined to strike out six Twinkies.
- In the top of the first, Rhys (6) came home to roost and give the Orioles an early 1-0 lead.
- The Twins answered back with two in the bottom half of the first to take a 2-1 lead. With one out, Liam B. (8) and Sadie (2) got on base and came around to score.
- After the Orioles went down in 1-2-3 fashion in the top of the second, the Twins would score three in the bottom half of the inning to widen their advantage to 5-1. Pearson (14), Julius (11) and Theo (5) got on base and eventually came home to crow.
- The O’s would reply with a run in the top of the third to trim the deficit to two. Rhys got on base to lead off the inning and came around to score.
- In the bottom of the third, the Twins threatened by loading the bases. However, the O’s dodged a bullet as their relief pitcher struck out three to vanquish the Twinkies insurgency.
- The Twins would close out the win by mowing down three Orioles in the top of the fourth.