WITH NOT ENOUGH RED BIRDS ON HAND, A FUN SCRIMMAGE WAS HAD BY ONE AND ALL AT DOVERCOURT PARK
Beneath the incandescent lights illuminating the diamond on a warm and hazy midsummer night, the Cubs defeated the Cardinals by forfeit this evening in Peewee Division scimmage action this evening at Dovercourt Park.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Kevin Lawrie:
- With only five Cardinals on hand to start the game, the Cubs loaned the Red Birds Lucas (1), Noah (13), and Aidan (10) in order to play a scrimmage.
- After another Cardinals player flew in late to the scrimmage, Lucas returned to the Cubs. Upon Lucas’ departure to the Cubs dugout, fellow Cubs Noah and Aidan vowed to “make you pay!” and laughed and laughed. What a prophetic statement!
- During the scrimmage, both teams took advantage of an increasingly wide strike zone – with Cubs batters being struck out a season-high ten times, and Cardinals batters being fanned a season high nine times.
- The scrimmage started slowly but picked up in the bottom of the second when the Cardinals scored four runs to make the score 4-1 – with Cubs/Cards player Aidan laughing on his way home to score the fourth run of the inning.
- Charlie (#7) hit his third home run of the season for the Cubs in the third inning to raise his Peewee Division regular season batting average to .778!!!
- A seventh Cardinals player arrived halfway through the scrimmage and joined the fray – but the Cards retained their star outfielders Aidan and Noah – who were enjoying playing against their own team.
- The Cubs took a 6-4 lead in the last inning on the strength of five walks.
- However, the Cardinals came back in the bottom of the inning, with both Noah and Aidan notching one-out walks.. and Aidan loudly noting “All of the players and runners on the field are Cubs!” The two would come around to score on a scrimmage-ending double.