THE ARTFUL DODGERS PREVAIL OVER THE PESKY EXPOS AT BICKFORD PARK
Beneath a sheath of warm and humid summer skies, the Dodgers edged the Expos 5-4 in 4 ½ innings of Peewee Division action this evening at the Bickford Park South Diamond.
Here is a Dodgers recap of the proceedings courtesy of Richard Park:
- The Dodgers faced a tough Peewee Division opponent in the Expos under sweltering conditions at Bickford Park.
- In the top of the first, Dodgers starter Vince (6) faced the minimum number of Expos, recording all three outs with two strikeouts and a solo putout at first, where he hustled over to the base and stepped on the bag just before the hard charging Expos baserunner got there.
- The Expos pitching was just as effective in the bottom half of the first as they kept the Dodgers off the scoreboard.
- After walking the first two Expos batters, Dodgers reliever Michael (9) settled down nicely in the top of the second to record three groundouts [a 5-3 putout with third baseman Anthony (15) connecting with first baseman Max B. (8); a 6-3 play with shortstop Vince (6) throwing to Max B.; and a 1-3 putout with Michael tossing over to Max B.] However, the Expos were able to generate two runs on the three groundouts and a steal of home to jump out to a 2-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the second, the Dodgers struck right back with three runs, on a double by Anthony (15) and single by Lucas (7), to take a 3-2 lead.
- Dodgers reliever Luca (12) recorded the first two outs in the top of the third on a pair of groundouts [a 1-3 putout with Luca (12) tossing to first baseman Lucas and a groundout to first baseman Lucas]. The Expos were able to tie the game on a single but Luca shut the door and ended the inning with a strikeout.
- The Dodgers quickly regained the lead 5-3 in the bottom of the third with a pair of runs on respective singles by Vince (6) and Luca (12). With the Artful Dodgers poised to add more to their tally, the Expos diffused the threat with a pop out double play.
- In the top portion of the fourth, Dodgers reliever Anthony blanked the Expos with two strikeouts to keep them off the scoring ledger Anthony also got some nice defensive help on a pop out to shortstop Michael.
- The Expos were equal to the task and responded by keeping the Dodgers from adding to their lead in the bottom of the fourth.
- With the game moving quickly and stellar plays in the field, the Dodgers and Expos were able to play a fifth inning. Dodgers pitcher Vince quickly had the fans on the edge of their seats by starting the frame with a hit batsman, a walk and a deep double giving up one run to the Expos. Shaken, but not stirred, Vince then moved into high gear and followed up with two strikeouts and a pop out to the pitcher to end the threat and preserve the razor thin win.