THE ARTFUL DODGERS PREVAIL OVER THE EXPOS FOR THE ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT GAME VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITSBeneath a cool ceiling of September skies, the Dodgers edged the Expos 8-7 in 3 ½ innings of Peewee Division Round Robin Tournament action tonight at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a recap of the proceedings:
- Dodgers starter Vince (6) would strikeout two and induce a groundout to keep the Expos off the scoring ledger in the top of the first.
- In the bottom of the first, the Dodgers struck for four runs to stake themselves to an early 4-0 lead. After a drawing a leadoff walk, Vince quickly stole his way around the horn and brazenly came home in grand theft style to score the opening run of the game. Following a walk and a pair of stolen bases by Wolf (5), Nicolas (10) delivered him home with a RBI single. Following a walk by Stephen (11) that put two ducks on the pond, Anthony (15) hit into a 4-3 groundout that advanced Stephen to third and brought Nicolas home from third. With one out, Michael (9) stroked a groundout to first that plated Stephen. In a spirited effort on the hill, Expos starter Alex O. (3) coaxed a pair of groundouts in the first frame.
- Not to be outdone, the Expos answered back with three in the top of the second to trim the deficit to one. After a one out walk by Bailey (8), Daniel (5) singled and Andrew (2) walked to load the bases. Alex O. garnered a bases loaded RBI walk to plate Bailey. With one out and the bases still juiced to the gills, Ben (4) hit a groundout to first that brought Daniel home. Following a walk to Anders (9) that reloaded the bases, Alex L. (10) drew a bases loaded RBI walk to bring Andrew homeward. Dodgers reliever Nicolas (10) would ring up two strikeouts and a groundout in the second to quell the Expos insurgency.
- The Dodgers replied with a run in the bottom of the second to stretch their lead to 5-3. After a leadoff walk and a pair of stolen bases that advanced him to third, Sasha (13) came motoring home on a dropped third strike to Luca (12). Expos reliever Ben (4) would chalk up a pair of strikeouts and a groundout in the second to end the Dodgers rebellion.
- In the top of the third, the Expos exploded for four runs to take a 7-5 lead. After Justin (14) walked and Cooper (1) singled to open the inning, Elliott (13) was hit by pitch to load the bases. A wild pitch would allow Justin to scamper home with a run. After a walk to James (6) reloaded the bases, Bailey garnered a bases loaded RBI walk to bring Cooper home with the tying run. Another wild pitch by the Dodgers allowed Elliott to come home with the go ahead run. With no outs and two otters on the pond, Daniel stroked a RBI single to bring James home.
- Answering the clarion call, the Artful Dodgers struck back with three in the bottom of the third to retake the lead 8-7. After a leadoff walk and two stolen bases by Lex (1) that advanced him to third, Wolf delivered a one out RBI single to bring him home. Nicolas followed with a double that put two mallards on the lake. A subsequent series of wild pitches would allow Wolf and Nicolas to come home with the tying and go ahead runs. Expos reliever would strikeout two and induce a popup in the third to extinguish the Dodgers insurrection.
- With the Expos potential tying and winning runs on board, Dodgers reliever Nicolas chalked up a groundout and two K’s in the top of the fourth to seal the deal on the victory.