THE GRITTY LIZZIES PREVAIL OVER THE MIGHTY GIANTS AT CHRISTIE PITS TO ADVANCE TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP FINALBeneath a tranquil ceiling of cool September skies and amidst the sombre soliloquies of poet Adin Wener, the Lizzies defeated the Giants 10-6 in 5 ½ innings of Peewee Division Semi-Final action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
The playoff elimination game victory propels the Lizzies into Thursday’s Peewee Division Championship Game. The Lizzies await the winner of the Tuesday semi-final contest between the Mets and Rockies.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- The Giants threatened by loading the bases in the top of the first. However, Lizzies starter Solly (11) pitched himself out of the jam with a strikeout, pop out, and a superb play by his defence. Lizzies catcher James (6) made a rocket throw to third baseman Tesfa (7) to nullify Fernando’s (7) steal attempt of third.
- In the bottom of the first, the Lizzies jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. Following a leadoff single and a pair of stolen bases by James (6) that advanced him to third, Eli (2) delivered with a RBI single to bring him home with the opening run of the game. Solly followed with a RBI triple. On the play, the Giants would commit an error that allowed Solly to come home with a run. Finding his groove, Giants starter Taio (12) struck out the next three batters to quell the Lizzies uprising.
- Lizzies reliever Vincent (8) would strikeout three in the top of the second to keep the Giants off the scoring ledger.
- Taking care of business, the Lizzies scored four in the bottom of the second to increase its lead to 7-0. With two outs and a runner at third, James stroked a RBI single to plate Matthew (3). After James moved to third via a pair of steals, Eli brought him home with a RBI single. Solly followed with a two run home run blast over the fence in left field. Kudos to Giants catcher Jack (1) for making a laser throw to third baseman Matthew to erase Lizzies baserunner Oliver (4) in a 2-5 putout at third. And an additional kudos to Giants reliever Maggie (8) for picking off a Lizzies baserunner at first base.
- The Lizzies would tally a run in the top of the third to trim the deficit to six. KJ (9) would steal home to score the Giants first run of the game.
- Not to be outdone, the Lizzies answered back with a run in the bottom of the third to widen their lead to 8-1. Tesfa would zoom homeward from third with a run on a Giants error. Giants reliever KJ (9) would strikeout three in the third to douse the Lizzies insurgency.
- In the top of the fourth, Lizzies reliever Vincent chalked up a groundout and two K’s in 1-2-3 fashion to keep the Giants off the scoring abacus.
- The Lizzies tacked on another pair in the bottom of the fourth to widen its advantage to 10-1. After a leadoff single by James, Eli muscled a double to put two ducks on the pond, A subsequent wild pitch and dropped third strike would allow James and Eli to come homeward and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. Taio of the Giants would strikeout three in the fourth to extinguish the Lizzies insurrection.
- Lizzies reliever Eli (2) chalked up a fly out and a strikeout in the top of the fifth to keep the Giants off the scoreboard.
- Giants reliever struck out three in the bottom of the fifth to keep the Lizzies off the scoresheet.
- Refusing to go quietly into the night, the Giants rallied with five in the top of the sixth to trim the margin to 10-6. After Fernando doubled to open the frame, Taio served up a bunt single and Maggie drew a walk to load the bases. Matthew (13) followed with a two RBI single to bring Fernando and Taio home. After a walk to Owen (10) reloaded the bases, the Lizzies were called for a balk that allowed the Matthew and Owen to move up a base and Maggie to come home and do the Watusi. With two outs, Noah (11) stroked a two RBI single to plate Matthew and Owen. Lizzies starter Solly returned to the fray and rung up the final K to seal the deal on the victory.