RIDING ON THE COATTAILS OF TWO BIG OFFENSIVE INNINGS, THE ATHLETICS PREVAIL OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS FOR THE EBA PEEWEE SELECT LOOP VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Summary courtesy of Erin Mitchell
Beneath a genteel ceiling of cool blue skies, the Annette A’s defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Peewee Selects 11-4 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Peewee Select Loop action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- After a scoreless first inning, Annette staked themselves to a 1-0 lead in the top of the second.
- TP rallied with a run in the bottom half of the third to deadlock the affair 1-1. Following a walk, Camille stole herself around the horn with Grand Theft bravado to tie the game.
- With authority, the A’s answered back with aplomb in the top portion of the fourth as they exploded for six runs to retake the lead 7-1.
- Refusing to surrender, TP rallied in gritty fashion with a run in the bottom of the fourth and a pair in the fifth to trim the deficit to three. TP’s offensive surge in the fifth frame was powered by a grace under pressure two RBI double delivered by Vince.
- However, Annette added four insurance runs in the top of the sixth to increase their lead to 11-4.
- The TP pitching brigade held the potent A’s batting order to no runs in the first, third and fifth frames. Of note: the bullpen mowed down Annette in three up and three down fashion with three K’s in the third and a pair of fly outs in the fifth…with nice catches by Camille in centre field and Vince at second base.
- While manning third base, Elliott made a pair of sweet throws across the diamond to chalk up a pair of 5-3 putouts.
- Turning points: After launching a fly ball to the deep dish pizza portion of the outfield with the bases loaded, Dash was robbed of a RBI jackpot when the A’s defence ran down the ball and caught it. In addition, TP baserunners failed to move up a base on a fly ball with only one out…something the team will have to work on as the season unfolds.
- With the exception of the fourth and sixth innings versus Annette, TP played a good overall game as they continue to find their mojo and gel as a team.
The TP Peewee Selects (0-3) continue their EBA Peewee Select homestand at Christie Pits Diamond 2 next Wednesday (May 23) when they host the Bloordale Green at 7:00 p.m. Tickets for this stellar matchup are still available at the TP Baseball Box Office.