TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TAME THE WOLVERINES IN THEIR HOME OPENER AT DOMINICO FIELD AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN THEIR SECOND EBA BANTAM SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Game Summary and Photo courtesy of Bill Evans
Beneath a pristine blanket of cool Spring skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Bantam Selects defeated the Weston Wolverines 8-2 in 5 ½ innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Bantam Select Loop action tonight at Dominico Field at Christie Pits to earn their second consecutive victory of the season and remain undefeated.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- It was a wonderful night of baseball, with friends on both sides of the diamond, as TP played host to Weston in their home opener at Dominico Field.
- TP starter Ben (4) stymied the Weston batting lineup as he pitched four solid innings of two run ball while ringing up five strikeouts.
- In two stellar innings of relief, TP reliever Aaron (54) shut down the Wolverines by surrendering no runs while striking out three Weston batters in backwards K fashion. When the dust had finally settled, Aaron chalked up a grand total of four strikeouts.
- Meanwhile, TP catcher Alex (6) went the distance behind the dish, picking up for his injured batterymate Piper (13), who played a solid game at shortstop.
- TP received great contributions from the dynamic 2004 ‘J’ group of Jona (15), James (9), Jamie (52) and Jude (3) at the plate and in the field.
- In a defensive highlight, Joseph (11) made a sweet running catch on a hard line drive to centre field and had the wherewithal to make a quick relay throw to second baseman James for the pretty 8-4 double play!
- Joseph also led the TP offensive attack by going 2 for 2 at the plate. Ben, Piper, Alex and Jude chipped in with respective hits.
- Kudos to the solid as a rock umpiring duo of Cooper and Nicola.
The TP Bantam Selects (2-0) continue their EBA Bantam Select Loop homestand at Dominico Field next Thursday (May 24) when they play host to the Annette A’s at 8:00 p.m.