IN A TOTAL TEAM EFFORT, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE GOLD BOMBERS AT MILLWOOD PARK FOR THEIR FIRST EBA PEEWEE SELECT LOOP VICTORY
Beneath a patchwork of sunny and cloudy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Peewee Selects defeated the Bloordale Gold 11-8 in four innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Peewee Select Loop action this evening at Millwood Park.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Erin Mitchell:
- Unlike the crazy storm that hit the Christie Pits area on Wednesday afternoon, the scene at Millwood Park was sunny and dry by the 6:00 p.m. start time of the TP-Bloordale Gold game.
- In the top half of the first, TP staked itself to an early 2-0 lead. After a pair of leadoff walks that put two ducks on the pond, Vince (19) and Elliott (20) made some nice steals to move into scoring position respectively at third and second. Liam (26) followed by hitting into a fielder’s choice that advanced Elliot to third and brought Vince home with the first run of the game. Then Cooper (7) stroked a nice RBI hit to bring Elliott home. TP threatened by loading the bases on a two out single by Camille (29) and a walk to Ernesto (13). However, TP could not add any more to the tally as they left them stranded.
- Utilizing a couple of walks, steals, and a base hit, Bloordale replied with a pair in the bottom of the first to deadlock the affair. In a chitty, chitty, bang, bang play, the TP defence made an awesome tagout at home to preserve the 2-2 tie.
- Taking no prisoners, TP exploded for seven runs in the top portion of the second to take a 9-2 lead. The offensive thrust was keyed by a walk to Simon S., a base hit for Simon B, back to back walks to Vince and Elliott, followed by a double for Liam, a triple for Cooper and respective singles by Luca (12) and Dash (4).
- Nice pitching by TP reliever Dash and another big defensive tagout play at home in the bottom half of the second limited the potent Gold Bombers offence to only one run.
- TP added two more in the top of the third to widen their advantage to 11-3. Following a pair of base hits by Simon B. and Fernando (30) that put two swans on the lake, Vince and Liam delivered respective RBI singles to bring them home with the bacon.
- Not to be outdone, Bloordale rallied back with four in the bottom of the third to close the gap to 11-7.
- In three up and three down fashion, the Gold Bombers held TP off the scoring ledger in the top of the fourth.
- It was a nail biter of a finish, as pesky Bloordale donned their rally caps and started the bottom of the fourth with a pair of base hits that resulted in a run that trimmed the deficit to three.
- However, the gritty TP defence came up with an awesome putout play at third base (for the first out of the frame) that turned the momentum in their favour. Two outs followed and the TP Peewee Selects had won their first 2018 EBA regular season game 11-8!!!
- In a nutshell, it was an amazing game, truly our best effort by the whole team. Truth be told, TP did have some calls go their way, so our momentum kept going in a very exciting and fun game.
- That’s two wins in a row for the TP Peewee Selects – one Milton Tournament round robin victory and one league game. We’re looking to keep our winning streak going at home next week!
After a three game road trip on the EBA Peewee Select Loop circuit, the TP Peewee Selects (1-6) return to the friendly confines of Christie Pits Diamond 2 next Wednesday (June 20) to host the Weston Wolverines at 7:00 p.m.