DOWN 6-2, THE WHITE SOX STAGE A LATE RALLY TO PREVAIL OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT LLOYD MCCONNIE MEMORIAL FIELDSCollage Photos courtesy of Dora & Lubo Photography PLC
Beneath a thick veil of hot, hazy and humid skies, the Martingrove White Sox defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Mosquito Selects 10-6 in five innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop action this evening at Lloyd McConnie Memorial Fields.
Here is a recap of the proceedings courtesy of Dora Yeoh:
- Gameday at Lloyd McConnie Memorial Fields was a hot tin roof scorcher with temperatures hitting a humidex of forty! Luckily, the 6:00 p.m. start time allowed both teams to escape the worst of the heat.
- TP staked itself to an early 2-0 lead in the top half of the first frame. After Aron (14), Momo (18) and Charlie (8) drew walks to load the bases, Dylan S. (10) delivered a RBI single that brought Aron home with the opening run of the game. Momo followed with a brazen Grand Theft of home to score another run.
- In the bottom of the first, Martingrove answered back quickly to tie the affair at 2-2. The White Sox scored their first run on a theft of home. Ethan followed with a RBI single that brought home the tying run.
- TP starter Cooper (3) pitched two solid innings against the White Sox. Cooper allowed only two runs, six hits, while striking out two and walking one.
- The game remained at a 2-2 deadlock until the top of the third inning. Taking no prisoners, the TP offence surged to life in the top portion of the frame as they tallied four to take a 6-2 lead. After Cooper (3) singled and stole second, Momo stroked a clutch two out RBI single to bring home Cooper with the go ahead run. Following Momo’s thievery of second and third, Charlie muscled a RBI single that allowed Momo to come home with the bacon. After Charlie’s theft of third, Dylan S. launched a grace under pressure RBI double bring Charlie home to crow. Then Milo (27) followed with a RBI double that allowed Dylan S. to motor home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- Fresh from the bullpen, TP reliever Charlie (8) entered the fray in the bottom of the third and pitched a tidy 1-2-3 inning to keep the potent Martingrove batting order off the scoring ledger.
- With the White Sox bullpen holding the TP batting lineup off the scoreboard in the fourth and fifth frames, Martingrove slowly chipped away at their deficit to pull within one.
- Trailing 6-5 in the bottom of the fifth, Armin doubled on the first pitch of his at bat to bring home the tying and go ahead runs for the White Sox.
- Despite the late inning loss, the TP offence generated ten hits in the high-scoring affair. Unfortunately, Martingrove also collected ten hits on the way to their second victory of the season.
- White Sox starter Anthony went two innings, allowing two runs on four hits while striking out three.
- TP relievers Charlie and Cody (11) entered the game in relief of Cooper. Charlie threw two innings and Cody tossed one inning respectively.
- In a ten hit parade, Milo (27), Dylan S., and Cooper had two hits each to lead the TP offence.
- Utilizing their speed, TP tore up the base paths with four players stealing at least two bases. Momo led the way with three.
- The TP defence was sure-handed in the field.
- Despite the hot and humid conditions, TP catcher Milo (27) did a stellar job catching the entire game.
- Racking up ten hits against TP, Armin and Ethan led the White Sox attack with multiple hits.
- The Martingrove defence was sure-handed on the diamond and didn’t commit a single error. Armin made the most plays with ten.
- Despite the final score, the boys are really starting to come together and play as a team.
The TP Minor Mosquito Selects (2-5) continue their road trip on the backroads of the EBA Mosquito Select Loop circuit next Sunday (June 24) when they venture to Pelmo Park to battle the Weston Wolverines at 6:00 p.m.