TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE WOLVERINES AT PELMO PARK TO EARN THEIR ELEVENTH EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT LOOP VICTORYGame Summary composed with file from Vincent Lynch
Beneath a canopy of hot, hazy and cloudy skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Weston Wolverines 9-4 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Loop action this evening at Pelmo Park.
The proceeding was an entertaining and well played contest between two talented teams. In the end, a gritty TP squad made the most of their opportunities to prevail over the pesky Wolverines for their eleventh victory of the season.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- TP staked itself to an early 2-0 lead in the top portion of the first. After Ethan (12) and Nathan (29) led off the inning with back to back singles that put two swans on the lake, Willy (6) followed with a two RBI line drive to bring Ethan and Nathan home with the opening runs of the game.
- After Weston was held off the scoring ledger in the bottom of the first, TP added another run to its tally in the top of the second to increase its lead to 3-0. Following a two out single by Theo (3), Qayam (11) delivered a clutch RBI double to bring Theo home.
- The Wolverines roared to life in the bottom half of the second as they scored a pair to close the gap to 3-2. After Dawson (28) stroked a leadoff single, Damian (21) delivered a RBI triple to bring Dawson home with Weston’s first run. Javier (17) followed with a groundout that allowed Damian to come home to crow.
- TP answered back quickly with three in the top of the third to widen its lead to 6-2. After a leadoff single by Nico (7), Ethan launches a double that put two ducks on the pond. Nathan follows with a RBI single that advances Ethan to third and brings Nico home to do the funky chicken. A Weston error on the play allows Nathan to advance to third and brings Ethan home with another run. Willy followed and hits into a fielder’s choice that brings Nathan home to roost.
- In the bottom of the third, the Wolverines replied with a pair to trim the margin to 6-4. Following a leadoff double by Myles (32), Eric (31) delivered a RBI double to plate Myles. With one out, Justin (24) stroked a RBI single to bring Eric home with the bacon.
- After a quiet fourth inning for both teams, TP scored three insurance runs in the top of the fifth to stretch their advantage to 9-4. After back to back singles by Ethan and Nathan that put two otters on the pond, Willy powered a two RBI triple to right field that allowed Ethan and Nathan to blaze home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. Jamie (20) followed with a RBI sacrifice fly that allowed Willy to motor homeward to do the jitterbug.
- TP tallied a total sixteen hits against Weston. Willy, Theo, Ben, Ethan and Nathan collected multiple hits. Ethan and Nathan led the team with three hits each.
- Willy powered the TP attack with five RBI’s versus the Wolverines on a two RBI double, RBI fielder’s choice and a two RBI triple.
- Weston stroked ten hits versus TP. Myles went 3 for 3 at the dish to lead the Wolverines offence.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects (11-3) play a makeup EBA Rookie Ball Select Loop game versus the Royal York Red this Saturday (August 11) at Christie Pits Diamond 3 at 2:30 p.m.