UNFURLING A THIRTY HIT FUSILLADE IN THEIR FINAL REGULAR SEASON GAME, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL OVER THE WHITE SOX AT MARTINGROVE GARDENS PARK TO EARN THEIR THIRTEENTH EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT LOOP VICTORYGame Summary composed with file from Vincent Lynch
Beneath a ceiling of warm and hazy midsummer skies, the Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects defeated the Martingrove Silver 19-6 in seven innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Loop action this evening at Martingrove Gardens Park.
The high scoring proceeding was an entertaining contest between two talented teams. In the end, TP unfurled a thirty hit attack to prevail over the Silver White Sox for its thirteenth EBA Select victory of the season.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings:
- TP jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first. After Willy (6) and Fernando (1) stroked back to back singles that put two swans on the lake, Jamie (20) delivered a RBI single to bring Willy home with the opening run of the game.
- In reply to TP’s opening salvo, Martingrove struck back in dramatic fashion to take a 3-1 lead in the bottom half of the first. With two runners on base, Jehman launched a clutch two out three run inside the park home run shot to right field.
- Nonplussed, TP answered with a pair in the top of the second to deadlock the game 3-3. Following a pair of one out singles by Rohan (19) and Holden (25) that put two ducks on the pond, Qayam (11) stroked a RBI single to plate Rohan. Subsequently, with two outs and two runners on base, Michael (9) delivered a RBI line drive to centre field that allowed Holden to motor homeward with the tying run.
- After the White Sox were held off the scoring ledger in the bottom of the second, TP scored six in the top portion of the third to take a 9-3 lead. After connecting for a one out double, Willy advanced into scoring position at third on the throw. With two outs, Jamie stroked a RBI single to bring Willy home with the go ahead run. Ben (8) followed with a RBI double to centre field to plate Jamie. With one aboard, Ethan (12) delivered a RBI double to bring Ben home to crow. Rohan followed with a RBI single to plate Ethan and give TP a 7-3 advantage. Following a double by Holden that put two otters on the lake, Qayam delivered a grace under pressure two RBI single that allowed Rohan and Holden to come home and do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- Not to be outdone, Martingrove answered back with a three in the bottom of the third to trim the margin to 9-6. With one out and two mallards on the pond, Jehman grounded into a fielder’s choice to plate Gurshaun. With two outs, Epner delivered a RBI double to bring Jehman home. Luke followed with a RBI single that allowed Epner to come home with the bacon.
- TP replied with a pair in the top of the fourth to extend its lead to 11-6. After a leadoff single by Michael, Willy connected for a two out single. On the play, the White Sox defence committed an error that allowed Willy to advance to second and brought Michael home with a run. Fernando followed with a RBI line drive to left field that allowed Willy to come home to do the Macarena.
- The White Sox struck back quickly with two in the bottom of the fourth to close the gap to 11-8. Following a two out single by Bhangu, Lucas launched a clutch RBI triple to bring Bhangu home. Jordan followed RBI double to plate Lucas.
- In the top half of the fifth, TP added three to the abacus to stretch its lead to 14-8. Following back to back singles by Ethan and Rohan to open the inning, Holden hit into a groundout that moved Rohan to second and brought Ethan home with a run. After a pair of one out singles by Qayam and Noah (10) loaded the bases, Michael delivered a two RBI single to bring Rohan and Qayam home to do the jitterbug.
- After Martingrove went down quietly in the bottom of the fifth, TP tallied five insurance runs in the top portion of the sixth to secure its advantage at 19-8. After stroking a leadoff single, Willy advanced to second on a White Sox faux pas. Fernando followed with a RBI double to plate Willy. Subsequently, with one out and two ducklings on the pond, Ethan delivered a RBI single to bring Jamie home. With two aboard, Rohan followed with a RBI double to bring Ben home. Holden followed with a two RBI single that brought Ethan and Rohan home to do the Hustle.
- There would be no more scoring until the bottom half of the seventh when the White Sox scored a run to trim the deficit to ten.
- In a high octane affair, both teams combined for a grand total of FIFTY hits, with TP tallying thirty and Martingrove adding twenty.
- Rohan sparked the TP attack by delivering four hits [three singles, double] against the White Sox.
- With a 19-9 victory in their final regular season game, TP finishes the 2018 EBA Rookie Ball Select Loop regular season campaign with a stellar 13-3 record.
With the completion of the regular season, the TP Rookie Ball Selects (13-3) playoff journey at the 2018 EBA Rookie Ball Select Championship begins this Friday (August 17) afternoon with a 3:00 p.m. round robin playoff game against the Bloordale Green at Millwood Park.