THE BLUEBIRDS FEND OFF A LATE RALLY BID BY THE TWINKIES TO EARN THEIR FIRST MOSQUITO DIVISION ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under a embroidered duvet of warm and humid blue skies, the Jays edged the Twins 7-6 in a 3 ½ inning Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Mosquito Division round robin playoff game at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The proceeding was a fun, entertaining and well played contest between two talented and well coached teams. In the end, the gritty Jays extinguished a determined late comeback bid by the pesky Twins to hang on for the slender tenderloin victory.
Here is a brief recap:
- The Twins jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top half of the first. After Cheney (5), Anisa (9), and Mia (3) led off the inning with consecutive walks to load the bases, Kingston (6) stroked a one out RBI single that brought Cheney home with the opening run of the game. Subsequently, with two outs and the bases still loaded, Will (14) and Asher (11) drew back to back RBI walks that allowed Anisa and Mia to come home to roost.
- In a spirited effort on the hill, Jays starter Niko (12) tallied a strikeout and a fly out in the first frame.
- Niko was helped out during the inning by a Gold Glove defensive play from Jays right fielder Asher (14). After Twins batter Charlie (4) had scorched a hard hit fly ball to right field, Asher battled the bright glare of the sun to make a nice catch to rob Charlie of a hit that was destined for extra bases.
- Unfazed, the Jays answered back with three in the bottom of the first to tie the game 3-3. After Holden (13), Oren (8) and Will (11) drew back to back to back walks to open the inning and load the bases, Elsie (5) and Asher (7) followed with a pair of RBI walks that allowed Holden and Oren to come homeward with the Jays first runs of the game. Subsequently, with one out and the bases still juiced to the gills, Finn (15) hit into a fielder’s choice that allowed Will to motor home with the tying run.
- In a spirited foray on the mound, Twins starter Kingston (6) chalked up a strikeout and a groundout in the first inning.
- The Twins threatened by loading the bases in the top of the second courtesy of a double by Yuri (18) and a pair of walks by Cheney and Anisa. However, Jays starter Niko found the groove as she pitched herself out of the sticky wicket via a flyout and a pair of groundouts to leave the bases stranded.
- Niko was assisted by another great defensive gem from her friends during the second frame. As Jonah (15) launched a one out fly ball to right, Jays right fielder Holden hustled towards the first baseline to make a shoestring catch to rob Jonah of a hit and tally the second out.
- Taking flight, the Jays exploded for three runs in the bottom of the second to take a 6-3 lead. Niko, Elliot (10) and Henri (7) garnered consecutive walks to lead off the inning and load the bases. Seizing their opportunity, the Jays executed a daring triple steal that saw Elliot and Henri move up a base and brought Niko home with the go ahead run. After Markus (9) drew a walk to reload the bases, Elliot pounced upon a Twins wild pitch to blaze home from third with a run. Following a walk by Carolina (3) that loaded the bases again, Holden delivered a RBI single to bring Henri home to crow.
- With authority, Jays reliever Markus (9) rang up three strikeouts in the top portion of the third to keep the Twins off the scoring ledger.
- In the bottom of the third, the Jays tallied an insurance run to increase their lead to 7-3. Following respective walks by Oren and Spencer (2) that put two ducks on the pond, Finn delivered a RBI single to bring Oren home with the bacon.
- After surrendering a run, Twins reliever Charlie (4) dug deep into his reserve tank to pitch himself out a bases loaded jam in the third frame courtesy of a groundout and two strikeouts.
- Donning their rally caps, the Twins refused to surrender as they feverishly battled back with three runs in the top of the fourth to slice the margin to a razor thin 7-6. Following back to back walks by Will and Asher that put two otters on the lake, Yuri delivered a clutch two RBI triple to bring Will and Asher home to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake. Cheney followed with a RBI single to bring Yuri home.
- Shaken, but not stirred, and with the game on the line, Jays closer Will (11) found the mojo to chalk up a groundout and two strikeouts in the fourth frame to seal the deal on the Bluebirds victory over the Twinkies.