WITH NAUTICAL FERVOUR, THE MARINERS HARPOON THE BEANTOWNERS AT CHRISTIE PITS TO EARN THEIR SECOND MOSQUITO DIVISION ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF VICTORY
Beneath a patchwork quilt of warm and cloudy skies, the Mariners defeated the Red Sox 6-2 in four innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Mosquito Division round robin playoff action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The proceeding was an entertaining and well played contest between two talented and well coached teams. In the end, the Mariners prevailed for the victory by using a combination of solid pitching and a taking tiger mountain by strategy offensive approach.
Here is a brief recap:
- Mariners starter Ben (15) struck out one in the top half of the first to keep the Red Sox off the scoring ledger.
- Ben was helped out during the first inning by a bizarre defensive rundown play from his defence. In Quasimodo fashion, the Mariners D eventually chased down elusive Red Sox baserunner Jon (13) between second and third to tally the first out of the game.
- The M’s staked themselves to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first when Andy (13), Dylan (9) and Charlie (7) came home with the bacon.
- In a spirited foray on the hill, Red Sox starter Nathan (8) rang up a strikeout in the first frame.
- Mariners reliever Dylan (9) chalked up two strikeouts in the top of the second to keep the Beantowners off the scoresheet and in the stewing pot.
- Red Sox reliever Ezekiel (12) returned the favour in the bottom portion of the second as he struck out two to keep the Mariners moored to the dock.
- The Red Sox offence stirred to life in the top of the third as they scored two to trim the gap to 3-2. With two outs and the bases loaded, Dylan delivered a grace under pressure two RBI double that brought Jon and Mason (15) homeward to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- Shaken, but not stirred, Mariners reliever Dylan found the groove as he rang up two strikeouts in the third to end the Red Sox insurrection.
- With one out and the bases loaded, Dylan was also helped out by nice defensive play from his friends when the Mariners D had the acumen to throw home on a fielder’s choice to force out a Red Sox baserunner at home plate.
- Nonplussed, the Mariners answered back with three in the bottom portion of the third frame to widen their lead to 6-2. After a leadoff walk by Alex (6) and a single by Charles (4) put two ducks on the pond, Sebastian (1) hit a sacrifice fly that allowed Alex to tag up and motor home from third with a run. With two outs and a runner at third, Andy followed with a RBI hit that allowed Charles to score from third with dramatic flair. Subsequently, with the bases loaded, Charlie (7) delivered a clutch RBI single that allowed Andy to come home to roost.
- In a spirited effort on the mound, Red Sox reliever Finch (6) chalked up a strikeout and flyout in the third frame.
- With 1-2-3 efficiency, Mariners closer Charlie (7) mowed down the Red Sox with three electrifying strikeouts in the top of the fourth to seal the deal on the victory.
- Red Sox reliever Ezekiel tallied two K’s in the bottom of the fourth to keep the M’s off the scoring abacus.