DOWN 5-4, THE PESKY RAYS RALLY FOR A PAIR IN THE FINAL INNING TO PREVAIL OVER THE GRITTY ATHLETICS AT CHRISTIE PITS FOR THEIR FIRST MOSQUITO DIVISION ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF VICTORY
Beneath a warm ceiling of cloudy skies, the Rays edged the A’s 6-5 in a nail biting four inning Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Mosquito Division round robin playoff game this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Trailing 5-4, the Rays rallied to deadlock the affair in the bottom of the fourth when Julia (2) came home with the tying run.
Subsequently, with two outs and baserunners at third and second, Damian (7) delivered a clutch RBI single that brought Lauren (6) home with the game winning run.
Here are a few additional highlights:
- In the top of the first, the A’s jumped out to an early 2-0 lead when Eitan (15) and Graham (4) came home to roost.
- Rays starter Daniel (11) tallied a strikeout and a pair of groundouts in the first to diffuse the A’s insurgency.
- With 1-2-3 efficiency, A’s starter Julian (13) chalked up a pair of strikeouts and a groundout in the bottom half of the first to keep the Rays off the scoring ledger and in the aquarium.
Rays reliever Liam (9) mowed down the A’s with a three strikeout repertoire to keep the Athletics off the scoreboard.
- The Rays exploded for three runs in the bottom of the second frame to take a 3-2 lead. Lauren, James (10) and Sebastiaan (15) came homeward to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- In spirited foray on the hill, A’s reliever Sparrow (6) rang up a groundout and a strikeout in the second inning.
- Nonplussed, the Athletics answered back with a run in the top portion of the third to tie the game 3-3 when Callum (2) came home to crow.
- Rays reliever Lauren (6) chalked up a groundout, strikeout and flyout in the third inning to extinguish the A’s rebellion.
- Unfazed, the Rays replied with a run in the bottom of the third to take a 4-3 lead when Jacob came home to roost.
- A’s reliever Graham (4) registered a strikeout and a pair of groundouts in the third to vanquish the Rays insurrection.
- The A’s quickly struck back with a pair in the top of the fourth to retake the lead 5-4 when Sparrow and Davide (7) came homeward.
- Rays reliever Julia (2) struck out three in the fourth frame to end the A’s mutiny.