TAKING FLIGHT, THE O’s PREVAIL OVER THE BRONX BOMBERS FOR THE MOSQUITO DIVISION ELIMIMATION ROUND PLAYOFF GAME VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Under a ceiling of overcast and chilly skies, the Orioles defeated the Yankees 5-1 in 4 ½ innings of Toronto Playgrounds House League Baseball Tournament Mosquito Division elimination round playoff game action this afternoon at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
The proceeding was a well played contest between two talented and well coached teams. In the end, the Orioles used an elixir of solid pitching, strong defence, and an opportunistic offence to prevail over the Yankees.
Here are some highlights:
- Orioles starter Dylan (2) tallied two strikeouts and a fly out in the top of the first to keep the Yankees off the scoring ledger and in the Bronx.
- With two outs, Dylan also received a sweet Gold Glove defensive play from O’s centre fielder Jesse (13) in the first frame when Jesse leapt in the air to make a shoestring catch on a scorching fly ball off the bat of Yankees batter Cooper (3).
- In the bottom of the first, the Orioles staked themselves to an early 3-0 lead. After Jesse stroked a leadoff single, Ethan (8) reached base on a catcher’s interference call to put two ducks on the pond. Milo followed with a one out two RBI double to bring Jesse and Ethan home with the opening runs of the game. After stealing third, Milo brazenly stole home to give the O’s another run.
- The Yankees threatened in the top half of the second by getting their leadoff batter [Momo (6)] to third base. However, O’s starter Dylan rang up three consecutive strikeouts to keep the Bronx Bombers off the scoresheet.
- With the wind in their sails, the Orioles added two runs in the bottom of the second to extend their lead to 5-0. Dylan and Antonio (3) came homeward to do the shimmy, shimmy, shake.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, Orioles reliever Robbie (12) mowed down three Bronx Bombers in the top of the third to keep the Yankees off the scoreboard and in the locker room.
- Yankees reliever Tashi (8) chalked up two strikeouts and a groundout in the bottom of the third to keep the Orioles off the scoring abacus and in the nest.
- With 1-2-3 flair, O’s reliever Milo (5) rang up three strikeouts in the top of the fourth to keep the Yankees in the dugout.
- Yankees reliever Momo (6) chalked up a groundout, lineout and a strikeout in the bottom of the fourth to keep the O’s off the scoresheet and in the ornithology museum.
- Donning their rally caps, the Yankees battled back with a run in the top of the fifth to trim the margin to 5-1. After stroking a leadoff double, Cooper stole his way home to break the goose egg.
- Nonplussed, O’s reliever Milo would mow down three Bronx Bombers in 3K fashion in the fifth to seal the deal on the Orioles victory.