THE TORONTO PLAYGROUND MAJOR PEEWEES DRY CLEAN THE WHITE SOX TO WIN THEIR OPENING ROUND ROBIN GAME AT THE TBA WEST SELECT LOOP CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS
Game Post composed with files from Thao Nguyen and Rob Ball
Under the lights on a beautiful evening at Smythe Park, our TP Peewee Selects crushed the Martingrove (1) White Sox 11-1 in four innings of TBA West Select Loop playoff action.
Using a combination of stellar pitching and defense, along with an opportunistic offense, the Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewees won their opening round robin game at the TBA West Select Loop Peewee Championship Playoffs.
The Major Peewees (1-0) will play their second round robin game on Saturday(August 10) afternoon against the winner of the TP Minor Peewee-Martingrove 2 round robin game at Millwood Park at 3:45 p.m.
Here are the highlights:
- TP starter John Eric (27) pitched three stellar innings where he allowed only one White Sox run to pick up the win.
- In the top of the first inning, Martingrove scored one run to take an early 1-0 lead.
- TP turned in a nice defensive play in the first to help their cause. With Martingrove baserunners on second and third, TP pitcher John Eric threw to second baseman Jamie (2) in an attempt to pickoff a wayfaring White Sox player. A rundown resulted, which allowed the Martingrove baserunner at third to make a break for home. However, Jamie threw the ball home to catcher John (1), and he deftly applied the tag on the dead on arrival White Sox runner to record the out at the plate.
- In the bottom of the first, TP answered back with two runs to take a 2-1 lead.
- Solid TP pitching and defence kept Martingrove off the scoring ledger in the top of the second.
- Toronto Playgrounds scored another run in the bottom of the second to extend their lead to 3-1.
- The TP offense threatened by loading the bases in the third. However, Martingrove dodged a bullet by keeping the Major Peewees off the scoreboard.
- Utilizing an economical nine pitches, TP reliever Tyler (7) pitched a scoreless top of the fourth by striking out two White Sox batters.
- The Major Peewees put the pedal to the metal in the bottom of the fourth as they scored seven runs to salt the victory away.
- With TP scored their initial run of the inning, John (1) stroked a clutch two out 2 RBI bases loaded hit to the outfield to widen their advantage.
- After Nathan (10) walked to reload the bases, Jack (13) powered a 2 RBI double to extend the TP lead.
- Next, Jamie (2) delivered a check swing hit that bounced ten feet towards the mound. With Nathan charging home from third, the White Sox pitcher fielded it on a hop and threw home. However, he overthrew his catcher as Nathan slid home safely in a cloud of dust at the plate.