FIRING ON ALL CYLINDERS, THE CARDS TAME THE PESKY LIZZIES AT CHRISTIE PITS TO ADVANCE TO THE SEMI-FINAL ROUND
Beneath serene skies this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2, the Cardinals defeated the Lizzies 12-6 in 4 ½ innings of Mosquito Division Quarter-Final play.
In a well played game between two talented squads, the Cards used an elixir of strong pitching, an opportunistic offense, and solid defense to prevail over the pesky Lizzies.
Here are the highlights:
- Cardinals starter Solomon (11) struck out two in the top of the first to keep the Lizzies off the scoresheet.
- The Cards took an early 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. After leading off the inning with a single and a pair of steals, Alex (6) came zooming home on a Lizzies error to score the first run of the game. Later, with a Card on third, Jeremy (7) stroked a RBI single to bring Jake (2) home. Later, with Jeremy at third, Solomon hit a RBI single to score Jeremy.
- In the top of the second, the Lizzies answered with a run to trim the deficit to two. After leading off the inning with a walk, Mark (11) would eventually reach third and come blazing home on a Cardinals error.
- Solomon of the Cards would subsequently mow down three in the second to extinguish the Lizzies offensive surge.
- The Cardinals would add three runs in the bottom of the second to widen their advantage to 6-1. With a runner on base, Thomas (14) would hit a RBI single to plate Griff (3). Later, with the bases juiced, Zenon (10) would deliver a two RBI single that allowed Thomas and Charles (8) to come homeward.
- The pesky Lizzies scored a pair in the top of the third to make it a three run game. With the bases loaded, Xavier (8) earned a RBI walk to score Leif (9) from third. Leandro (10) followed with a RBI walk that brought Jasper R (4) home.
- Cardinals catcher Jake (2) made two all star putouts at home in the third to short circuit a determined Lizzies rally attempt.
- In the bottom of the third, the Cards scored three to stretch their lead to 9-3. A bases loaded RBI single by Alex scored Mabon (9). Jake followed with a RBI walk to bring in Francis (13). Jeremy garnered a RBI walk to plate Liam (15).
- The Lizzies scored a run in the top of the fourth to trim the margin to 9-4. After a leadoff single and a pair of stolen bases, Mark motored home from third on a Cards error.
- Cardinals reliever found his rhythm in the fourth and proceeded to mow down three Lizzies to bring the inning to a close.
- The Red Birds added three insurance runs in the bottom of the fourth to increase their lead to 12-4. With a Card on base, Griff stroked a RBI single to bring Solomon home. Subsequently, with one out and the bases juiced, Mabon delivered a RBI single to score Thomas. Francis followed with a RBI walk to bring home Charles.
- Down by eight, the Lizzies took advantage of five walks in the top of the fifth and gamely rallied for two runs to trim the deficit to six. With the bases loaded, Xavier (8) drew a RBI walk to bring home Taylor (3). Leandro followed suit with a RBI walk to score Fatima (14).
- Cardinals closer Zenon (10) eventually snuffed out the Lizzies comeback charge with two strikeouts.
The TP Baseball Committee wishes to commend Lizzies Coaches Garry Bulloch, Paul Bagnell, Diane McCallum, Mark DeBoer, Geoff Rayes and all the Lizzies players on a great season.
With the victory, the Cardinals advance to the Mosquito Division Semi-Final round on Wednesday, September 12 at Christie Pits Diamond 2 against an opponent still to be determined.
More game pictures to follow.