WITH A GUTSY TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS TEAM HANGING TOUGH FOR FOUR EXHILARATING INNINGS, THE MAJORS SCORE FIVE IN THE FINAL FRAME TO SECURE THE WIN OVER TP AT THE BRAMPTON MINOR BASEBALL INCORPORATED SELECT TOURNAMENTGame Post composed with file from Paul Renton.
Beneath glorious morning skies, the Mississauga Majors defeated our Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects 11-4 in five entertaining innings at Sesquicentennial Park in their second game at the Brampton Minor Baseball Incorporated (BMBI) Select Tournament.
With TP starter Tyler (42) pitching 3 1/3 strong innings, Toronto Playgrounds kept Mississauga’s potent offense in check as they only trailed by only three runs (6-3) after four innings of play.
However, the Majors broke the game open in the top of the fifth inning as they scored five to secure the victory against a pesky TP team.
Here are additional highlights:
- TP starter Tyler (42) held the Majors offense to only two runs in the top of the first while striking out two.
- In the top of the second, Tyler pitched a stellar scoreless inning while fanning two to keep the score 2-0.
- Despite allowing a pair of runs to Mississauga, Tyler mows down two Majors to keep TP within striking distance.
- The Major Peewee Select bats surge to life in the bottom of the third as they score three to trail 4-3. TP received key hits from Jack K. (13) [single], Arlo (7) [2 RBI single] and Jack H. (27) [RBI single] to key the comeback.
- Mississauga answered back with a pair in the top of the fourth to extend their lead to 6-3. After allowing two runs and striking out one, Tyler was relieved by TP reliever Arlo (7) who proceeded to strike out two Majors to close the inning.
- Trailing 11-3, TP battled back with a run in the bottom of the fifth to trim the deficit to eight. After a perfect bunt single by Adam (18), Troy (37) delivered a RBI single. Jacob (2) followed with a double.
The Major Peewee Selects continue their journey at the 2014 BMBI Select Tournament on Saturday (May 31) with an afternoon game at Sesquicentennial Park against the Mississauga Wildcats at 1:30 p.m.