THE DARLIN’ CUBBIES CLIP THE UNDERMANNED RED BIRDS AT BICKFORD PARK TO PAW THE HONEY JAR OF SWEET VICTORY
Under serene summer skies, the Cubs defeated the Cardinals 16-0 in four innings of Mosquito Division action this evening at the Bickford Park South Diamond.
Four Cubs pitchers combined to shutout the undermanned Cardinals with ten strikeouts over the course of the proceedings.
Meanwhile, the Cubbies parlayed twenty-one walks and four hits into four big innings to cruise to victory.
Here are the highlights:
- The Cubs jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Elliot (1), Isaiah (10), Han (12) and Alexander (2) would come home to roost on a series of walks and errors.
- Cubs starter Alexander (2) would strikeout three Cardinals in the bottom of the first to quell a Cardinals uprising and keep them off the scoresheet.
- In the top of the second, the Cubbies added four more to the tally and widen their lead to 8-0. Anders (8), Michael (13), Julian M. (5) and Julian B. (4) would come homeward on respective RBI walks drawn by Julian B., Javert (6), Elliot and Isaiah.
- Cardinals starter Sara (3) threw two workmanlike innings against the Cubs.
- Cubs reliever Elliot (1) fanned two Cardinals to keep them off the ledger in the bottom of the second.
- The Cubs add four more in the top of the third to stretch their advantage to 12-0. Alexander, Anders, Michael and Julian M. would come homeward bound. Javert would deliver a key 2 RBI double to power the Cubbies offensive thrust.
- Cardinals southpaw Thomas (6) threw a workmanlike third inning against the Cubs.
- Cubs reliever Michael (13) tossed a scoreless bottom of the third by striking out two Cardinals.
- The Cubs scored four insurance runs in the top of the fourth to increase their lead to 16-0. After a leadoff walk by Elliot, Isaiah would stroke a RBI double to bring Elliot home. Subsequently, after a walk to Han to put two Cubs on base, Cameron (7) would deliver a RBI single to plate Isaiah. After a walk to Anders loaded the bases, Michael and Julian M. would draw back to back RBI walks to bring home Han and Cameron.
- Cardinals reliever Joseph (5) would strikeout a Cub in his stint on the mound in the third.
- Cubs closer Javert mowed down three Cardinals in 1-2-3 fashion in the bottom of the fourth to seal the deal on the victory.