THE CUBBIES CORNER THE BUCCANEERS TO PLUNDER THE HONEY JAR OF SWEET VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath warm and humid skies that spanned the entire park, the Cubs defeated the Pirates 9-4 in 3 ½ innings of Mosquito Division play this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Cubs Game Summary by Gordon Belray.
It was a Goldilocks evening at the Pits, not too hot, not too cold, just right night as the Cubbies pawed their way to a 9-4 win over the visiting Pirates over 3 1/2 innings.
Cubs starter Nick (14), well rested after a two weeks at camp, looked solid pitching a scoreless first with a 1-3 putout, and strikeout.
The Cubs scored four in the bottom half with aggressive base running and RBI double by Alexander (2).
Hard throwing Cubs reliever Isaiah (10) allowed three runs after a 0-2 leadoff triple on a hanging curve by Pirate Charlie (3), but found his groove striking out three in the top of the second.
The Cubs continued to dance around the bases by scoring four more in the bottom of the second on a single by Shamus (9), RBI double by Nick (14), and Julian M (5) two run single.
The Cubs’ arms continued to power through the Buccaneers lineup with Michael (13) allowing one run on three strikeouts.
The Pirates ace took the mound in the bottom of the third giving the Cubs a taste of their own medicine, striking out three and allowing just one run as Alexander (2) scratched and clawed his way home after a single.
Cubs closer Shamus (9) shut down the Pirates in workmanlike style, pitching a shutout inning with two strikeouts to end the game.
Cubs pitchers recorded nine strikeouts and nine runs on five hits in an another impressive win.
Pirates Game Log by Captain Jeff Kolyn.
- The Pirates played a tight game, knocking several balls [Jasper (11) and Lucas (9) especially] destined for the outfield down, but narrowly missing the outs.
- Adi (7) provided a great spark with his two walks and three stolen bases. Adi also pitched a solid inning with three strikeouts.
- Alexia (14) and Andre (15) [2 RBI’s] followed Adi each with two walks of their own and great stolen bases.
- As the Bucs tried to rally back in the final inning, Oscar (1) [who also pitched a solid innings work] picked up a hit [with a walk to start the game as well] and promptly stole second with one of the best text book slides you’ll find.
- Jasper, Jeremy (4) and Olivia (6) [RBI] also picked up a walk to spark the offence.
- Charlie’s (3) bat had some thunder in it today, crushing a triple and a double [he then stole third] both times setting the table and scoring.
- The Pirates will rally for the next game, and are already raring to go.