IN A WELL PLAYED ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF AFFAIR , THE MIGHTY GIANTS PREVAIL OVER THE GNARLY BUCCANEERS FOR A SWEET VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITSBeneath a ceiling of cloudy and overcast skies, the Giants defeated the Pirates 2-0 in four riveting innings of Mosquito Division Round Robin Tournament action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
It was well played game by two highly skilled and well coached teams. In a proceeding where pitching dominated, runs came at a high premium in a classic low scoring affair. Four pitchers from both the Giants and Pirates combined for eighteen strikeouts and allowed only two hits over four frames.
Here are the highlights:
- Despite loading the bases on three walks, Pirates starter Adi (7) struck out three in the top of the first to dodge a bullet and keep the Giants off the scoresheet.
- In 1-2-3 fashion, Giants starter Adam (10) mowed down three Pirates with powerful authority in the bottom of the first to keep the Buccaneers off the base paths and the scoreboard.
- In the top of the second, the Giants take a 1-0 lead. With two outs and a runner on third, Adam delivers a clutch two out RBI single to bring Aidan (3) home with the first run of the game.
- Bucs reliever Aaron (2) fans three in the top of the second to quell the Mighty Giants offensive insurgency.
- Giants starter Adam strikes out another three Pirates in order again in the bottom of the second to keep the Buccaneers offense moored to the docks.
- The Giants added an insurance run in the top of the third to extend their advantage to 2-0. After a leadoff single and wild pitch allowed Lucas (1) to reach second, he made a brazen dash to steal third. With the throw from the Bucs catcher sailing high and down the third baseline, Lucas picked himself up and blazed home on the error.
- In a bold bid to get back in the game, the Pirates loaded the bases in the bottom of the third. However, Giants reliever Jamie (13) struck out a pair of Bucs to leave them stranded.
- With two outs and the bases filled with Seadoggin’ Buccaneers, Jamie helped himself out in the third when he snared a scorching line drive off the Cutlass of a strokin’ Pirate to record the third out of the inning.
- Pirates pitcher Adi struck out one in top of the fourth to keep the Giants off the scoring register.
- The Bucs executed a Gold Glove 2-4 putout in the fourth when Pirates catcher Will (13) gunned down a wayfaring Giant attempting to steal second. Will made a cannon of a throw to second baseman Mark (12), who adroitly applied the tag to record the second out of the frame.
- Giants southpaw Lucas fanned one in the bottom of the fourth to keep the Pirates at bay and seal the deal on a hard fought victory.
- The Giants turned a neat 3-4 double play to end the proceedings in the fourth.
The Giants (1-0) will host the Reds (0-1) in their next round robin playoff game at Christie Pits Diamond 3 on Thursday, September 4 at 5:45 p.m. Up next for the Pirates (0-1) is a 5:45 p.m. round robin game versus the Cardinals (1-0) on Thursday, September 4 at Christie Pits Diamond 2.