TRAILING 6-5, THE MIGHTY GIANTS STAGE A FOUR RUN RALLY TO PREVAIL OVER THE CUBBIES AND ADVANCE TO THE MOSQUITO DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AGAINST THE DODGERS
Game Post composed with file from Vincent Lynch.
Beneath warm summer skies, the Giants defeated the Cubs 9-6 in a 4 ½ inning Mosquito Division Semi-Final Game this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 3.
Down 6-5, the Giants rallied in grand fashion with four runs in the bottom of the fourth to take a 9-6 lead.
In the top of the fifth, Giants closer Ethan R. (2) struck out two to seal the deal on a hard fought win over the Cubbies.
With the victory, the Giants (4-0-2) have advanced to a 2014 TP Baseball Mosquito Division Championship Game showdown against the Dodgers (4-0-2) tomorrow (Monday, September 8) evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2 [Game Time is 6:00 p.m.]
Here are the highlights:
- The Cubs started off strong when they took an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first on singles by Elliot (1) and Alex (2) and doubles by Isaiah (10) and Javert (6).
- The Giants rallied for a run in the bottom of the first after Ethan R. (2) singled and was brought home by Leo (7) with a RBI single.
- In the top of the second, Giants pitcher Jamie (13) mowed down two in the top of the second to keep the Cubs off the scoreboard.
- The Giants scored three in the bottom of the second to take a 4-3 lead on a couple walks and a hard hit single by Ethan R.
- After the Giants registered two quick outs in the top of the third, the Cubs scored two to take a 5-4 lead after a triple by Elliot and a massive 2 RBI home run shot by Alex.
- In the bottom of the third, the Giants answered with one run to even the proceedings 5-5. Teddy (12) walked and came home to roost after some aggressive base running.
- In the fourth inning the Cubs scored a run to take a 6-5 lead. After a leadoff double by Javert, Cameron drew a bases loaded two out RBI walk to bring Javert home with the go ahead score.
- Feasting upon seven walks, the Giants rallied for runs in the bottom of the fourth to retake the lead9-6. Rory (11), Ethan R., Leo and Lucas (1) came home to roost.
- Giants closer Ethan R. (2) shut the Cubs down on two K’s to end the game.