WITH MAJESTIC APLOMB, THE ROYALS REEL IN THE M’s TO TAKE THE VICTORY AT CHRISTIE PITS
Game Post composed with file from Vincent Lynch and Timothy Burke.
Beneath the shimmer of the incandescent lights illuminating the field, the Royals defeated the Mariners 9-5 in four innings of Mosquito Division play tonight at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is the Royals game summary:
The Royals started the game hitting and jumped out to an early 4-0 advantage in the top of the first. After James (6) got on base with a walk, he proceeded to steal second, third and then home for the first run of the game.
Matthew (5) and Callum (13) followed that score with consecutive singles. Jackson (8) came up and delivered an RBI on a fielder’s choice. McKai (14) then belted out a RBI single to drive in the third run.
Then on a crafty move Elayna (12) stole home with Parker (10) at the plate taking some nice cuts.
In the bottom half of the first, Royals starter James (6) came in and pitched a clean three outs to finish to keep the Mariners in the aquarium.
In the top of the second, the Royals had three consecutive walks by Jashan(9), Zev (7) and Henry (4) to load the bases and set the table for Kenoa (3), who delivered a grace under pressure 2 RBI hit to extend the lead to 6-0.
In the bottom half of the second, Royals reliever Kenoa (3) came into the fray and allowed the M’s to score three runs and trim the deficit to 6-3.
In the third frame, the Royals managed to generate two runs with a single from James, a walk by Callum, and some aggressive base running.
In the bottom half of the third, Royals reliever Lewis (11) entered the proceedings and kept the Mariners off the scoreboard by mowing down the side with a John Deere X534 Hydraulic Power 4-Wheel Steering Mower to keep the game at 8-3.
In the fourth, the Royals could only add a run as some solid defence by the Mariners stymied their efforts to add more.
Royals closer Jackson (8) came in in the bottom half of the fourth and allowed a pair of M’s runs before shutting the door on a hard fought 9-5 victory.
Here is the Mariners game summary:
- The Mariners faced the Royals on a late Spring evening that was perfect for baseball.
- The wind was blowing into home plate from the southeast when M’s starter Joaquin (6) took to the mound to face the Royals. Joaquin’s pitching debut outing for the Mariners proved to be a good test as he faced six or seven Royals batters where he allowed four runs after getting one groundout and one strikeout.
- As the game progressed, the Mariners went on to face some tough pitching from the Royals bullpen.
- Midway through the game, Ben singled and stole his way home beginning a rally for the Mariners.
- The Royals held the gavel and defeated the M’s 9 to 5 after a few ‘on the ball’ calls out at the dish by the home umpire due to players not sliding home.
- Licking their wounds, the Mariners will have to keep a keen eye on the Royals bullpen in their next match up!