DEADLOCKED 12-12, TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS PREVAIL IN A WALK OFF THRILLER OVER THE BOMBERS IN THE SEVENTH INNING AT NEILSON PARK TO WIN THEIR OPENING ROUND ROBIN PLAYOFF GAME AT THE 2016 EBA ROOKIE BALL SELECT CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENTTournament Game Summary edited with files from Jason Koskela and Vincent Lynch. Collage Photos courtesy of Cynthia Chan.
Beneath a canopy of warm and humid summer skies, our Toronto Playgrounds Rookie Ball Selects edged the Bloordale Bombers 13-12 in a seven inning nail biter this morning at Neilson Park to win their opening round robin playoff game at the 2016 edition of the Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Rookie Ball Select Championship Tournament.
Here are the highlights:
- In a very exciting game, TP opened their playoff journey at the tourney with a thrilling walk off victory over Bloordale in the bottom of the seventh inning.
- The Bombers staked themselves to an early 6-0 lead in the top of the first.
- With persistence, TP slowly clawed their way back into the game by scoring three in the bottom of the first, one run in the third, and another three in the fourth to take a 7-6 lead.
- In the top of the fifth, the Bloordale offense answered back with six to retake the lead 12-7.
- However, TP rallied for five in the bottom of the sixth to tie the game 12-12.
- After the Bombers failed to score in the top half of the seventh, TP’s first three batters in the bottom of the inning reached base. This set the table for Dylan (9), who delivered a bases loaded RBI hit into right field to bring home TP’s winning run with dramatic walk off aplomb. At this juncture, all the TP players left their dugout and ran onto the diamond to congratulate Dylan.
The TP Rookie Ball Selects [1-0] journey at the EBA Select tourney continues this (Saturday, August 20) afternoon at Neilson Park when they will play their next round robin playoff game against the Annette A’s at 5:00 p.m.
Additional updates will be posted as they become available.