THE CUBBIES PREVAIL OVER THE LIZZIES AT CHRISTIE PITS
Beneath a layer of warm and tranquil skies, the Cubs defeated the Lizzies 8-6 in three innings of Peewee Division action this evening at Christie Pits Diamond 2.
Here is a Cubs recap of the proceedings courtesy of Kevin Lawrie:
- It was an interesting coincidence that the nightcap Peewee Division game on Diamond 2 was played at the same time that the Bantam Division Lizzies were also playing a grey shirted opponent at the big diamond (Dominico Field at Christie Pits a.k.a. Diamond 1).
- The Cubs started with big 4-0 deficit after a strong Lizzies offensive attack in the top of the first inning.
- In the bottom of the first, the Lizzies starting pitcher walked two batters and struck out two before running into his fellow TP Select teammate Charlie (7) of the Cubs. He had had Charlie on the ropes with two strikes, but grooved a fastball that Charlie CRUSHED into the upper third of the left-field foul pole for a THREE-RUN HOME RUN blast that trimmed the deficit to one.
- Making his season debut, Cubs reliever Joey (6) held the Lizzies off the scoreboard in the top of the second with some good defensive help from Ezra (15).
- The Cubs scored four runs in the bottom of the second to take a 7-4 lead. The Lizzies almost got out of the mojo jojo jam with a sweet defensive double play when they caught Matthew (9) trying to stretch a single into a double, then throwing home to get another Cubs player.
- Refusing to surrender, the Lizzies scored two in the top of the third off Cubs reliever Charlie (7) to trim the margin to 7-6.
- Ezra made his Cubs catching debut behind the dish with a spiffy left-handed catching glove.
- The Cubs added an insurance run in the bottom half of the third before the House League time limit ended the game before the fourth inning.
- Kudos to Cubs leadoff batter Lucas (1) who walked three times, scored twice and stole two bases.