DOWN 5-3, THE RIVERDOGS RALLY TO PREVAIL OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS AT SMYTHE PARK
Under a tranquil ceiling of warm skies on the first day of summer, the York Riverdogs defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Major Peewee Selects 8-6 in six innings of Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Select action this evening at Smythe Park.
Here is a brief recap of the proceedings courtesy of Paul Kelly and Jeff Kolyn:
- In a bizarre twist to the schedule, TP was the designated as the home team in this EBA Select road game.
- TP scored a run in the bottom of the first on a RBI hit by Taio (1).
- TP led 5-3 the game until the wheels came off in the top of the sixth as York rallied with five to take the lead.
- In the bottom of the sixth, TP refused to surrender as they rallied for a run on a clutch RBI double by Jamie (52) to trim the deficit to two.
- An ill advised move to send James (6) home led to TP’s second out in the final frame.
- TP threatened by putting two on runners on base, but the comeback bid fell short as they couldn’t bring them home.
- In a postgame press conference, TP Major Peewee Select Head Coach Paul Kelly remained positive about his team’s effort: “Despite our third loss in a row, our overall play improved against a very good team (York). The team spirit is much improved and it was a positive loss. In the final analysis, the team that made the least errors won today.”
- TP Major Peewee Select Assistant Coach Jeff Kolyn also found positives in the loss to the Riverdogs: “Our big bopper, Taio, was stranded on deck when our final batter stuck went down swinging. We had a chance. Despite the final result, we played the best we have played in a long time.”
- Josh (37) pitched two solid innings where he gave up only two runs.
- James (6) pitched two strong innings where he gave up only one run.
- Jamie pitched well in his 1 1/3 innings on the hill.
The TP Major Peewee Selects (4-3) continue their EBA Select road trip next Wednesday, June 28 when they venture to Queensway Park to play against the Royal York (Boy) Cardinals at 6:15 p.m.