THE RED CARDINALS PREVAIL OVER TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS IN THEIR 2018 EBA MOSQUITO SELECT LOOP SEASON OPENER AT QUEENSWAY PARKGame Summary and Photo courtesy of Dora Yeoh
Under a drizzly ceiling of light rain, the Royal York Red defeated the Toronto Playgrounds Minor Mosquito Selects 11-7 in their Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) Mosquito Select Loop season opener this evening at Queensway Park.
Here is a brief summary of the proceedings:
- The TP Minor Mosquito Selects opened their 2018 EBA Select regular season with a visit to the Royal York Red Cardinals at Queensway Park.
- It was a grey evening with rain spitting throughout the entire game.
- With catcher Cody (8) behind the dish, TP starter Milo (27) pitched a stellar first inning by keeping the potent Red Cardinal offence grounded in three up and three down fashion
- After stroking a single in second frame, Aron (14) stole second to put himself into scoring position. Charlie (8) brought Aron home with a terrific triple. After drawing a walk, Sean (13) stole second to put two ducks on the pond. The inning closed with both Sean and Charlie hustling home on overthrows by the Royal York defence.
- In the bottom of the second, TP catcher Adam (20) was anchored behind the plate catching some fierce heat thrown by reliever Momo (18). The inning saw some great TP defensive plays by shortstop William (33) to Charlie at first base, followed by a play to Sean at second base, that brought the curtain down on the inning.
- After Cody singled to open the third frame, Jiri (15) followed with a single that moved the lightning fast Cody to third. Following Cody’s steal of home, Dylan (10) brought Jiri home with a run.
- With Joel (12) catching TP reliever Aron in the bottom half of the third, the team put up a valiant effort against Royal York as the potent Red Cardinals offence flexed its wings against TP Minor Mosquito Select defence during the inning.
- In never say die TP fashion, Cooper (3) delivered a clutch two RBI triple in the top of the fourth to bring Adam and Momo home.
- TP reliever Cooper pitched to catcher William in the bottom of the fourth.
- In the bottom portion of the fifth, TP reliever Dylan threw to William, who was behind the dish for another inning.
- The TP Minor Mosquito Selects first game of the season saw the players rotating through different positions and learning to play as a team. They played a great game and provided fantastic support to one another as a team.
The TP Minor Mosquito Selects (0-1) continue their road trip on the EBA Mosquito Select Loop circuit next Sunday (May 13) when they travel to Millwood Park to battle the Bloordale Bombers at 4:00 p.m.