TORONTO PLAYGROUNDS GROUND THE BOMBERS AT PELMO PARK TO TAKE HOME THE ETOBICOKE BASEBALL ASSOCIATION 11U SELECT CHAMPIONSHIP PRIZE. AFTER CAPTURING THE 11U EBA TITLE WITH A UNBLEMISHED 5-0 RECORD, THE TP 11U BLUE ARE ALSO REWARDED WITH A TRIP TO THE 2022 BASEBALL ONTARIO 11U SELECT PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYOFFS
Tournament Photo courtesy of Paul Shuper. Tournament Post composed with files from Rob Goldstein and Flynn O’Dacre.
Beneath a warm canopy of overcast skies, the Toronto Playgrounds 11U Blue Selects defeated the Bloordale 11U Bombers 14-2 in a 4½ inning final round game this afternoon at Pelmo Park to win the 2022 Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) 11U Select Championship Tournament Game.
Here’s a brief championship game recap:
- After leadoff man Alexander E. (9) scored to give the Bloordale an early 1-0 lead in the top of the first, TP 11U Blue starter Jonas (25) found his mojo and struck out the next three batters to end the Bombers mutiny.
- Following a leadoff single by Sydney VK (14) and a walk by Max (65) that put runners on base, Alex (13) delivered a two RBI double to bring Sydney VK and Max home with the go ahead runs. Madeline (15) followed with a RBI triple that allowed Max to motor home and give TP a 3-1 lead.
- TP 11U Blue starter Jonas rang up another three strikeouts in the top of the second to keep the Bombers offence in the airport hangar.
- Toronto Playgrounds added a three spot in the bottom half of the second to extend their upper hand to 6-1. After a leadoff walk by Theo (6) and a single by Grover (11) that put two ducklings on the pond, Dash (00) stroked a RBI hit that allowed Theo to score. Subsequently, with two outs and runners on third and second, Ricky (12) delivered a grace under pressure two RBI double that allowed Grover and Dash to motor home with a pait of TP runs.
- Refusing to concede, Bloordale rallied back with a run in the top of the third to close the gap to 6-2. With one out and a runner on third, Alessandro (13) stroked a RBI single to bring Marcus (18) home with a run.
- Unfazed, TP 11U Blue starter Jonas rang up two strikeouts and a ground out to pacify the Bombers incursion in the third frame.
- Putting the pedal to the metal, Toronto Playgrounds exploded for four in the bottom of the third to expand their plurality to 10-2. Sydney VK led off the inning with a Say Hey solo home run shot! After a single and stolen base by Max, Alex stroked a RBI single that allowed Max to come home to roost. With Alex on third after a pair of derring-do steals, Madeline connected for a RBI hit to bring Alex home with another TP run. After a two out walk, Ethan (80) swiped his way around the horn to third base. Theo followed with a clutch RBI hit to bring Ethan home.
- Bloordale threatened in the top of the fourth when Christian (24) and Parker (2) hit back to back singles to put two Bombers on the tarmac. However, TP 11U Blue starter Jonas chalked up a pair of strikeouts and a groundout to terminate the Bloordale insurrection.
- Toronto Playgrounds added four insurance runs in the bottom portion of the fourth to solidify their advantage at 14-2. After a one out single by Dash, Giovanni (10) muscled a double that put two runners on the dance floor. Jack followed with a two RBI triple that allowed Dash and Giovanni to hustle homeward with a pair of runs. Ricky stroked a RBI groundout to bring Jack home. After a two out walk by Owen, Sydney VK stroked a single to put two aboard. Max followed with a clutch RBI double to bring Owen home with another TP run.
- After TP 11U starter Jonas finished his spectacular 4 1/3 inning stint on the hill with a strikeout in the top of the fifth, TP 11U Blue closer Sydney VK entered the fray from the bullpen to slam the door on Bloordale’s comeback hopes, With lickety-split resolve, Sydney VK rang up a strikeout and groundout to seal the deal on TP’s championship win.
Finishing the tourney with a stellar 5-0 record, TP swept away their competition this weekend to take the EBA championship prize. As their reward, Toronto Playgrounds 11U Blue advances to the Baseball Ontario 11U Select Provincial Championship Playoffs on the Labour Day weekend in Guelph.
The TP 11U Blue’s journey at the EBA tourney began last Sunday evening with an 11-2 round robin game victory over the Royal York Boys at Christie Pits.
Taking no prisoners, Toronto Playgrounds 11U Blue rolled to a 16-3 win over the Martingrove White Sox on Friday night at Pelmo Park to earn their second round robin game victory.
On Saturday afternoon, TP 11U Blue capped off the round robin phase of the tourney with a 15-3 win over the Weston Wolverines.
With a perfect 3-0 round robin record, TP 11U Blue punched its ticket into the playoff elimination phase of the tournament with a semi-final matchup against the Annette A’s.
Earlier this morning, Toronto Playgrounds 11U Blue prevailed 10-4 over Annette in a 4½ inning semi-final elimination game at Pelmo Park. With the victory, TP 11U Blue advanced into the championship round versus Bloordale.
The TP 11U Blue Selects finished the 2022 Etobicoke Baseball Association (EBA) 11U Select regular season campaign with a stellar 11-1 record.
Away from the EBA circuit, the 11U Blue also had a fun and enriching experience participating at three tournaments during the 2022 season. The TP 11U Blue finished as the finalists at the Btampton Tournament in early June. In late June, the TP 11U Blue Selects won the championship at the Brantford Tournament. And in late July, TP 11U Blue were the finalists at the Orillia Tournament.
On behalf of our entire baseball community, the Toronto Playgrounds Baseball Association (TPBA) wishes to extend their congratulations to Head Coach Zachary Levinsky; Assistant Coaches Ben Goldstein; Jorge De Souza; Flynn O’Dacre and Mark Steinberg; Team Manager Jill Kolla; and the players of the TP 11U Blue Select Team for their hard work and dedication in achieving championship glory at the 2022 EBA 11U Select Tournament.
The TPBA also wishes to commend all the 11U Select coaches, players, parents and family members for representing the core values of Toronto Playgrounds Baseball program with honour, dignity and professionalism both on and off the diamond at the EBA tourney and during the course of the 2022 season.
Hi! Ho! Hi! Ho! It’s off to the provincials we go!
WAY TO GO, TP!